have to really jump through hoops to install new Vs anymore!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ratchet, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

If it wasn't for Unlocker I'd be screwed. Always "Something prevents access" to virlog.dat. To day it was it was also a Charon file. The same thing occurs if you try to uninstall first. I shutdown ThreatFire, Comodo (I only have the firewall) and Windows Defender but this happens every time.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

When you uninstall the ESET software make sure that you are doing it through the start menu>>all programs>>ESET>>ESET NOD32 Antivirus>>Uninstall option. Not through add remove programs. You can do it from add remove programs, the problem is that when you invoke the un-install from add remove programs Windows controls it and may not get the process done. When you start the un-install from the ESET folder you are starting the actual ESET uninstaller, which I personally see much more successes with.

-Cheers

3. spm

spm Registered Member

Rubbish. Why is it that vendors like you make such ridiculous claims? It is your installer that sets up the command that is invoked 'by Windows' when you uninstall via ARP, in just the same way that your Start menu shortcut does. It doesn't actually matter which process invokes the command. If your product fails to uninstall properly then there is only one company responsible: Eset, not Microsoft.

4. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

I have to agree... it is the installation programs responsibility to make sure that the uninstaller is properly called if invoked from the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel...

I'm surprised to see such a comment from an official ESET support person.

5. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

why then does uninstalling in Safe Mode only work from the Start Menu shortcut?

6. spm

spm Registered Member

Because the Windows Installer service does not run by default in Safe Mode. The Start Menu shortcut of Eset's starts the Windows Installer service before calling it to perform the uninstallation. The user could do the same, of course, and the end result would be identical.

That said, this misses the point. A properly written MSI-based installer/uninstaller (and Eset do use MSI for their product) does not need to be run in Safe Mode to do it's job properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.