Have to manually hide partition and change drive letter to none: TI9, build 2302

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MarkA, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkA

MarkA Registered Member

I'm using True Image 9, build 2302 in Windows 2000 to restore an XP partition on partition 1. I tell TI that I don't want to assign a drive letter: it assigns one anyway. I then have to use Partition Magic to change the drive letter to none and to hide the partition. I used Drive Image 2002 before buying both TI 8 and 9. The only advantage True Image has is hot imaging, which is not that big a deal to me. I also have to use Drive Image to image my Linux partition because it won't boot when TI restores the partition. I have that partition bootable with grub. The $100 or so I spent really wasn't worth it to me. Why can't True Image be on par with a much older program like Drive Image? Symantec bought out Powerquest as they have done to most of the competition and effectively killed their fine products with their crap. Wonder if they have set their sites on Acronis now?

I can say that about Symantec because for years I bought everything Symantec produced for years. Now they have activation which I despise and their programs destroy the speed of my machine. They picked up Microsoft's bad habits. The only people these people hurt are their paying customers with their garbage! Oh well: that doesn't have anything to do with my original post. Sorry for the rant . . .

Mark

P.S. I just restored Windows 2000 to partiton 3 from within XP Pro with TI8 and the drive assignment worked and it also hid the partition. Maybe it's a Windows 2000 thing or maybe a TI9 thing . . .

One more thing: In Drive Image I can select to restore the partition that I'm in, the active one, and it well set up everything and boot to DOS and complete the restore, then reboot. In TI, you are offered the chance to reboot and go through a manual restore. You then have to go through the steps to point it to the backup and the drive where you want the backup restored. A lot of steps, but it works. At least you don't have to use the boot CD. This would be a good feature to implement in TI, that it, what Drive Image does.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MarkA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm really sorry that you are displeased with the work of Acronis software.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Make a screen shots of your consequent steps taken during the image restoration process along with the screen shot of Windows Disk Management (Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management) showing the drive letters after the image has been restored;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report.txt file and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please describe it in more detail:

- Have you restored the image of the entire hard drive or this particular Linux partition only;

- What exactly do you mean when saying that "it won't boot when TI restores the partition"?

- Have you received any error messages? What exact messages?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report.txt file and information to your request along with link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.