Have Pity on New User

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by redbird985, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbird985

redbird985 Registered Member

New member here...

OK, so I am a granny that just bought a Dell Dimension XPS410, and I was looking into that "NOD 32" that I read about on CNet. And I keep seeing the word "beta".

Sorry about the stupid question, but:
    How do I tell if I have this 'beta' in my computer?

Would it say something like that on my recpt. from Dell?

I have Vista Home Premium, I think 32. (lord I am so tired of reading manuals and studying online things!)

Thanks for the help:)

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Redbird,

Welcome to the forums.
    I do not have much expertise in computers, but since you have not had a reply I will try, and hope I am not too far off. Someone will correct it if I am off.

When a new version of an application is being developed, such as NOD V3, the developers attempt to test it until they believe it is ready for the market and the average user.

To do that they get folks who desire to participate in the testing to do what I might call "field testing."
    In order to do that they put out the word that a beta is ready for testing, and ask those who desire to participate to install it, see how it performs, and report to the developers so that they can correct problems that have been encountered by the beta testers.

Needless to say, those beta testers may encounter problems that would adversely impact their computers, but that is the only good way to do it. People like me are not really qualified to do beta testing, at least until it is about completed, because it sometimes requires going into parts of the computer that I know nothing about, and might cause more problems than I could solve.

When the developers consider it is ready to put on the market the beta is discontinued, and it "goes gold" (I think that is the term used.)
    It is then ready to be marketed.

This may not be an especially good explanation, but maybe it will give you an idea.
    No, you do not have a beta on your new computer, unless someone put it there, and the manufacturer or store where one would buy it would not ever do so.

Have a good evening, and hope this helps some until some more knowledgeable person answers.

Best regards,
    Jerry

3. cpj

cpj Registered Member

First, I'm not sure that you really are a "Granny". An XPS410 is not a "Granny" machine, even in it's basic form. I have an XPS410, slightly optioned and I know what it can do. It should be a good choice.

Now to try to answer some of your questions.

"Beta" means that the version of the software (any software) is a prerelease version. They are still working on it and put it out for real people to try and them report problems that should be fixed before it is released. It is NOT a virus.

You machine came with either Norton or McAfee preloaded on it. It was not activated, but all you had to do was follow the instructions in the "bleeping" pop up and you were a subscriber. These two pay Dell huge amount of money to sucker people into their fold.

To load NOD32 onto your machine, go the the web site:
    www.eset.com and purchase the home user version. I don't like to fool around with the trial because you just have to fiddle with it at the end of the 30 days. Do it now and get it over with. I have this on at least 8 machines(mine, friends, relatives)at this point. I have been using it for three years and it is truly set and forget. You will get about 3 or 4 little balloons daily down in the right hand corner telling you that the latest definitions have been loaded. Other that that, it jut runs and runs and runs - in the background.

I would suggest that you do Blackspear's set up listed above. there are six pages of extremely well spelled instructions. I know it sounds like a lot, but the six pages are all screen shots with very clear instructions on what to do. It takes less than 15 minutes to do. My only caveat is about the IMON settings of "Higher efficiency" or "Higher compatibility". I find the the higher efficiency slowed down my downloads.

NOD32 is the only way to go. read some of the "white papers" especially the one by the IT guy from Colby Sawyer College.

CPeter

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Just open the control center, click NOD32 System Tools, click Information and take a look under Information about installed components.

You can also see it in the top left corner of the control center.
    Beta's usually has an orange image attached to it.

Attached Files:

5. redbird985

THANK you my friends.
    LOL...yes, I really am a granny. Last computer was around 10 years old, and I told the Dell lady I didn't want to upgrade for a long time!
    Mostly I like to fiddle around with my photo's, read emails and surf the web to see what's going on in the world out there. The grandkids like all those games, I'm lost at that!..lol

I am very appreciative for all the help. This Vista is really driving me crazy!!! Guess I will just have to get used to it.
    I find that sometimes when I am typing a normal letter on Word, or in an email, or even this reply...crazy 'corrections' will pop up if I hit one wrong key. Or the whole letter body will just disappear!

Ah well. In any event, I DO want good security because I am aware of all those virus and bugs out there.

So again, thank you thank you!
    :D

6. redbird985

P.S. I AM going to download and pay for that NOD...and follow those instructions!
    :D

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

If you choose to use Nod32, a fine choice IMO. After you download it but prior to installing it, it is highly recommended that you un-install whatever anti-virus program came already installed on your new PC. If it is Norton\Symantec then they have a special removal tool available. Otherwise you may experience some problems. We sure do`t want that on your brand new machine.

8. redbird985

Thank You ThunderZ.

I have "AVG" free edition on it right now, because I had such bad experiences with Norton in the past years. Someone told me to use this AVG, but I just don't know...

I feel so much more confident after reading about NOD on this site.
    And I am to install the version NOD32..version 2 right? Number 2.7 ??

Will I have a problem uninstalling AVG? :doubt:

Thanks!

9. ThunderZ

You should have no problem uninstalling AVG that I am aware of. And you are absolutely correct, 2.7 it is.

10. redbird985

11. ThunderZ

That is what we are here for. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.