have not created a partition for returnil as required in the setup...

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by cybernomad, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybernomad

cybernomad Registered Member

hi,

during the returnil virtual system (free) setup it asked me to create a partition, which i did not do. i later learned from the help manual that if i need to create the partition, i'll have to reinstall returnil. no problem with that.

Now, my question is what am i losing by not having this partition? will it have some effect on the start session feature where you can start a returnil session without rebooting. or some effect on some other feature...

Secondly, while in returnil session and installing apps some applications require a reboot to work correctly like many AVs and other softwrz. So can a returnil session go on between multiple reboots...

During a returnil session, i tried running Virtual Desktop powertoy for XP (it lets us have 4 virtual desktops at the same time). the system hanged for sometime and then windows explorer crashed and closed. It started again and I didnt attempt to run two virtual things at the same time. Why did this happen? will running some other virtual stuff like VMware and Sandboxie have the same effect...what if i run returnil in the guest OS in VMware. I mean running a virtual session in a virtual OS. What effect will it have? Im running Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thanx for reading this and thanx again if you are willing to help...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello cybernomad and welcome :)

In the 2x series (Release and Beta versions) this is no longer required and can be addressed using the "Repair" option in the uninstaller.

The System Protection/Session Lock and Virtual Partition features are self contained, meaning that neither needs the other to function. The Virtual Partition is nothing more than a very large file with special properties and is a convenience for those who do not have access to alternate storage. For Example, most computers sold in the US come by default with a single partition (C:\ )....

No, the current generation of Returnil does not support sessions across restarts. We plan to begin exploring this capability sometime during the 3x generation which should be released for public testing starting shortly after the final release of the current 2.0.1 version as final. This feature however will not be included in the intial builds as there is still a great deal of work to do before a general testing release...

At first blush my thoughts are that this is related to your cache size. Try using a larger cache and see if this clears up the Windows restart. When the cache is full, Windows thinks the real hard disk is full...

Mike

3. cybernomad

cybernomad Registered Member

Hi,

Thanx for the answers. I wud like to ask some more questions :)

Understood. that everythng on the system wud become as it was before the returnil session is started. but once it happened during a returnil Virtual session that i saved a .doc file and a .pdf file on my desktop which is located in system drive(C:/Docs and Setting/desktop). and when i restarted the pc after closing the session the files were still there. does this mean that only system files are preserved and data files are not.

great...

how do i do this...i mean, check the current value of cache size and change it.

is there any chance that some changes done to the OS during the virtual session become permanent after restart. I mean is there anything i should be wary of doing in a virtual session.

Thnx again for the help...

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

With Returnil Protection on? Also please verify that those folders were not moved to an alternate disk/partition. If the folders are on the System partition, does your Tray Icon and Toolbar sheild appear in red?

Open the following folder (C:\Returnil - Note, this folder is hidden) right click the RVSYSTEM.sys file and select "Properties". This will give you its current size. To change the size, click Start > All Programs > Returnil > Uninstall and then select the "Repair" option. This will open the same configuration and registration screens you interacted with during the original installation.

Yes, but you have to force Returnil to do this. The option is included in the Advanced settings (open the RVS GUI, click the "Change" link to the right, and then activate the "Save all changes" option. This is not recommended as ALL changes made to the System Partition will be saved to your real system at computer shut down...

Also note that System Protection or Session Lock must be activated to access these options.

Yes, the following should not be done while RVS protection is on:

1) Defragment your hard disk drive - the exercise is useless due to what RVS does...
    2) Schedule or activate a Check Disk scan - Known issue...
    3) Attempt to install Microsoft Updates - the exercise is useless due to what RVS does...
    4) Create or update a Windows Restore point - the exercise is useless due to what RVS does...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.