have a problem dont know what to do

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by roland deschain, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roland deschain

roland deschain Registered Member

ok about 3 weeks ago i had some body try to access my pc. my firewall blocked it.(nortons firewall). well after that i decided that i would check how safe my system was at the symantic site. u had to download a active x control to use it well during that process my firewall went off alot of times and i blocked them. after it was doneit said i was safe . i got on my pc the next day and i kept on getting firewall messg. saying that a remote system was trying to access my pc. i beleive it is the same thing that was happening when i was on the symantic site. i wrote to tech support at the site but they never replied back. and also since then a nortons message comes up over the task bar and says that certain files is waiting for a virus scan , it didnt do that before the scan at the symantic site . if anyone has any ideas on what is goin on and how i can stop it please reply. thankyou

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You would probably have been better off posting in the FW section.

It's probably just coincidence that you are getting these FW warnings after running the test. But one possible cause is if you had the Windows FW running concurrently with Norton, it is my experience that Norton does not issue warnings 'cos the WFW blocks everything first. But then, if the WFW is switched off, you would notice all the normal warnings that Norton would issue that you had previously not been seeing. It is, in any case, possible that internet traffic has been worse recently.

Incidently, it is not a good idea to run both Norton FW and Windows FW together as they can clash, even though they appear to coexist together quite happily.

The files waiting for a virus scan - were they called 'Thumbs' by any chance? If so this is normal Norton practice. I had that problem when running 'Picture It!', Norton would crash the program!

PS - If you are worried about the ActiveX you downloaded, go to IE, click Tools/Manage Add-ons and in the 'Show' drop down box select 'Add-ons that have been used by IE'. Then scroll to the appropriate ActiveX item, click the name to select it and click disable in the 'Settings panel'. See if that makes a difference. In any case it should be quite safe to delete ActiveX 'cos it can easily be downloaded again should it be required.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.