Haunted Computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by GideonD, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

I rebuilt my girlfriend's PC a few months ago after the Mobo went in the old one. It's an i3 build running Win7 Home x64. Recently, she's had an issue with a search result box popping up at random with nothing in it. I thought it was spyware at first but multiple scans with MBAM, SAS, Avast, Combofix, and Defender have found nothing. Today she called and I logged in with Teamviewer to see it first hand. She said the Start menu opens, and then a search windows pops up. The search phrase was "asasas" with no results found. I'm tempted to think that maybe her keyboard is at fault here. Could it be possible that the keyboard is dying and sending random signals? It's a Saitek Eclipse board that she had on the old build. I may swap it out for a spare board and see if this continues. It was doing it fairly frequently for a while but it's been over a month this time. Nothing seems out of the ordinary other than this.

Sometimes this happens once every few days and sometimes it's 6 or 7 windows all at once. The random characters are not always the same either. This really has me stumped.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i had an old Saitek Eclipse but it never gave me any problems.

have you tried an exorcist?

:D

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i would def try a different keyboard.

4. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Throw Zemana anti-logger on the system and see what it reports.

5. GideonD

Thanks for the input. If the keyboard doesn't fix it I'll start looking into keyloggers.

6. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Let us know the outcome.

7. GideonD

Well it turns out she has been too lazy to actually swap the keyboard. So for the past 2 days, no more popup search windows with the Saitek still attached. It's really odd. Maybe this weekend I can actually swap it out for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.