Has your real-time anti-trojan ever caught anything?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by richrf, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Given all of the discussion concerning the effectiveness/usefulness of anti-trojan software, I have a quick question:

Has anyone ever experienced a situation where their real-time anti-trojan software has actually detected some malicious software? If so, what other security packages were you using at the time, e.g anti-virus, host intrusion protection, firewall, etc.?

Hopefully, we get enough responses to make this question somewhat worthwhile. Personally, I have never had the situation occur. I have been using KAV 4.5. and KAV 5.

Thanks for your input.

Rich

2. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi Rich,

Going back to the last paragraph of my last post in the, AT vs AV 12 round bout thread:

Of coarse what I mean is to use only an AT for protection and disable all other security software.
    I'm talking here about real life browsing not someone with a teat bed of malware. Then at the end of each day, do a lot of scans with the top on-demand scanners, whether they're online scans or by re-enabling your AV of choice on your machine and see what was missed by the AT.

Maybe doing this would be a better indication of the effectiveness/usefulness of anti-trojan software.

Regards,
    Jaws

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

This would be an excellent research project. It would be particularly interesting to me if a top-tier AV (such as KAV) was loaded, to check how many pieces of malware slipped by the AV and was caught by the AT - and of course, how many got through both. Some college computer science majors out there should do this for their term paper. :D

Regards,
    Rich

4. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

It's interesting to note that a lot of the posts in the trojan and backdoors forum here at Wilders are from guests or new members that get hit with trojans that get through their AV.

Just an observation.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yes. It would be nice to know the full configuration of these incidences - e.g. firewall, AV in use, any AT, etc. This is useful information since sometimes it is possible to extrapolate patterns. For example, is the the free AVs that are more likely to be pierced, or is it the AVs that do not have frequent updates? All of this would be useful information.

Regards,
    Rich

6. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi rich,

No never ! But maybe that's because my PC etc is very securely locked down in the first place, plus i don't visit lots of places to get infected, or open every email etc.

Also my AV's AS's and online scans have caught the only 2 trojans i have ever experienced. And one of these is the TrojanSimulator test.

I still think they are worthwhile having, plus if we don't have/use them, how can we recommend them etc to others who are in greater need than us.

StevieO

7. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi richrf,
    No, never.I had TH set as real time and TDS-3 set as on demand and neither one ever caught anything... Now I removed both of them from my PC and I have "only" PG, RD, NOD32 and Ewido. And my firewall of course. :)

8. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Does your experience always tell truth?

Not to spoil everyone, but such kinds of experiences may not be real, unfortunately.
    It's especially true to trojans.

What does a trojan do?
    Try to do witohut anyone's notice.

So if someone does not get any trojan, there may have 2 main reasons:
    - you are really clean. Congratulations!
    - sorry, the trojan is too insidious. You even don't know he has finished its task, and may remove its trace already.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  9. Wai_Wai

is there any AV/At test available, man?
    Hi, richrf:
    In fact, there are such kinds of tests indeed. what they did is to try to compare different AV/AT comparison and to what exten AT could help.

The newest I have read seems to be about 8 months old.
    I don't remember which AV and AT are tested, but I'm plenty sure they should be famous, used by many users (since they tested only a few combinations, so they choose the most famous)

if memory serves, with AV/AT, the result is boosted by about 1-2% (1XX-3XX more malware detected).

10. Wai_Wai

So since AV/AT can boost my protection, so should I do so?

Hmm... You can do so. Extra protection is always preferred although don't expect it can help much. Indeed it does little help only. :'(

If you wish to add much protection or other kinds of better protection, how about consider this alternative – process & system protection?

Instead of doing more or less the same as AV/AT does, it provides another way of protection, preventing us form both ITW malware and Zoo malware. AV/AT is weak at Zoo malware, so it is always worthwhile to add some other layers to your computer.

What it does is to add an extra layer to the system, which is similar to the case where Firewall add an extra layer between your computer and the Internet/Intranet.

There are several products available in the market, eg: Tiny Personal Firewall (not really a firewall!), ProcessGuard(PG), System Safety Monitor(SSM), Viguard.

For stronger protection, one may decide to choose Tiny Personal Firewall, System Safety Monitor(SSM), Viguard.

For strong protection bu still maintain the ease of use, choose ProcessGuard.
    It seems to be a common mistake that people feel ProcessGuard is as difficult as using Firewall, prompting many alerts for you to choose. It is NOT the same. What makes it easy to use is "learning mode". To write a simple difficulty flow chart:
    Further Reading
    ProcessGuard (PG) VS System Safety Monitor (SSM) VS Viguard
    http://kareldjag.over-blog.com/categorie-69553.html

The author says:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  11. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Boclean caught one of the "bluefish trojan variants". It slipped by nod32. This particular trojan was and is a real nasty. It's only purpose was to steal financial documentation. Here's the link with screenshot. Nod has added this trojan to their database.

I've also witnessed boclean catching a trojan that norton had missed. This was on a friends computer. I'm currently running kav, and nothing has gotten past it so far. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=69390

12. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Hi Mr2cents, :)

I just visited your link on the " bluefish trojan " so thanks for posting that info with the screenshot.

I use AOL & have received suspicious emails claiming to be from AOL. When I contacted AOL they informed me that if the actual email envelope was NOT blue then the email was in fact .... NOT from them.

I am using Trojan Hunter & A2 presently .... both with their respective guards enabled. To date they have not detected any trojans.

My AV & Firewall are Norton 2005.

HR :cool:

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

In either case, the AT did not participate in the defense. I am simply trying to determine whether the AT ever participated in a defense.

Rich

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Mr2cents for the info. Do you remember approx. how long ago these incidents occured?

Rich

15. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi richrf. The date was march 4, 2005. I had to follow my own link to see when I posted it. I made the post the same day this event occured.

16. Sincerely

Sincerely Guest

The tests that you quote are flawed. You have not even read the links that people have given you that point out the flaws in the tests you quote. If you understood the flaws in those tests, you would understand why you can not use them to prove one way or another that a AV is better than a AT or at detecting trojans.

Similarly, kareldjag testing methods have weaknesses also and can't be used to prove that one security application is better than any other security application.

I think why you are not getting more people jumping on this thread and showing you the weaknesses is in your argument is that they can see that you are somewhat new. As one poster said before, you might want to do a little more research on these things.

Sincerely

17. nightflight1

nightflight1 Guest

No, I've never caught anything with my active realtime protection. I use NAV, Pest Patrol (which has a realtime memory scan), MSAS, WinPatrol etc... and nothing has ever been caught, except when I have done my own tests against malware.

But then I'm a very safe surfer and careful about what I open (email, always in plain script) and what I install (never use programs from untrusted sources) on my computer.

18. Wai_Wai

No, the above test is not meant to be "AV vs AT".
    Rather it is "AV vs AV/AT", and see how an extra AT can help an AV to catch missed trojans.

19. Wai_Wai

I don't understand much about AT (since personally I don't use AT, plus AT looks uninteresting and not effective enough, I don't bother to understand in depth).
    But it is sure that AT will participate in detection (NOT prevention).

Eg: When a trojan is planted in your computer and access to the pyhsical memory, if the AT can identify this trojan (from its signature base or some other heuristic methods, if any), it can successfully defend the trojans.

The similar case can hold true for AV since some AVs have simliar measusres to protect the physical memories.

Hope this helps.

20. culla

culla Registered Member

both msas and teatimer notified me of a toolbar trying to download it was spysheriff/trojan and was blocked and caused no trouble
    it did however let one file in i can't remember what just a bunch of numbers which i removed with hijackthis

21. Why

Why Guest

As has been stated before. The testing method is flawed and does not prove anything one way or another. To do the test in a manner in which could give someone a better idea of the effeciency of a AT would require a enormous amount of time.

So far, I have found no one that has tested the effectiveness of the AT memory scanner. Also you would need a test that checks for Trojan servers only and not trojan clients. The test you quote checks for both trojan servers and clients.

If you don't know the difference between a trojan server and a trojan client then you have a lot of researching to do about trojans but I will give you one clue. The server client is harmless.

You should really study trojans and trojan detection methods.

Why

22. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Wai_Wai,

"AV" (e.g. Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton) packages will normally catch the malware before the "AT" software (e.g. Ewido, BOClean, Trojan Hunter, A-squared), because the AVs scan "on-access" to any file. If the AV misses, then the AT may catch the malware while the malware is processing in memory (by doing a full memory scan on a frequent basis). So there is a temporal order to the detection.

If the AV catches all malware, then the AT will never have a chance to detect any malware.

1) Most forum members on this thread have so far reported that their AV has caught everything and that their AT has never caught anything that has gotten past their AV.

2) Some have reported that some malware has gotten past AV and either their AT or "anti-spyware software" (AS) has caught something.

This is a real-life survey on actual experiences with the usefulness of ATs and their corresponding AV. Hopefully we get enough reponses to make this survey somewhat useful to people who are trying to figure out whether an AT actually provides useful real-life protection when running an AV.

Regards,
    Rich

23. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Never. When I was running both TDS (with Exec Protection turned on) and NOD32, My AV numerous times notified me of suspicious files that were supposedly variants of specific trojans. TDS was always quiet. :(

24. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

After one ate my computer in about '98' i looked for help and found Wilders......this in turn led to proper protection..........have seen no trojan since..............no problems with anything....that i am aware of........... :)

25. Wai_Wai

Sorry for my ambiguity.
    That statement is meant to say something similar than the above.
    Nex time, I sohuld better say, if AV miss that intrusion of a trojan, AT has a chance to participate.

Good findings, Rich.
    As to (1), it is also what I expect. Unlike doing test which an AV will face a whole lot of trojans (eg over 10,000), AT may give a jot of help. But in reality, I'm not going to be attacked by over 10,000 trojans at the same time. Otherwise I will scream [why pick me out? :( ]

As to (2), true that AS can catch trojans too. To AS, they are just the same baddies who trespass our "privacy land". Kill... kill... kill... they msut be killed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.