Has the XP Avalanche of Doom struck yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aztony, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Main discussion is on msfn.org, but link to ported files is on ryanvm.net. Just use the terms: xp POSReady 2009.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The trust for unofficial upgrades and patches is based on user testing and discussions regarding what was changed. I can't comment specifically on the XP updates, but updates developed at MSFN for other operating systems have been first rate. The individual who created StartIsBack for Win 8 was the main developer for Revolutions Pack for 98. KernelEx was developed there. IMO, MSFN is the "go to" site for unofficial upgrades and patches. The upgrades there made my system better and more stable than anything MS ever did. Ported patches can be considered stable for the most part. The more involved projects should be treated like beta software. Just watch the threads for the updates to decide when you're ready to try it. If you back up your system before installing an unofficial upgrade, there's no real risk beyond some inconvenience.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yeah, Sampei already PM'ed me about ported POSReady 2009 updates. Looks interesting, I may try it out in VirtualBox later.

I'll wait and see for now and let others test for me. ;)

4. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Immagine.JPG

A colleague created batch file to run update I.E.8.

~ De-linked Direct Download - JRViejo ~

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  5. Pliskin

And now, with a simple registry tweak, you can download and install post-EOL XP updates directly from MS.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Wow, now we only have to worry about compatibility.

7. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I heard people were still making clothes by hand, for a decade after the loom was invented.

8. Pliskin

Apparently, XP SP3 - some components = POSReady 2009, so it shouldn't be any compatibility problems.

9. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Well, you are still using a 30x30 avatar that, frankly, doesn't look so good with the new Wilders software.

10. Sampei Nihira

Yes
    Trick Sebijk
    .:thumb:

Immagine.JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  11. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Yeah, the more we talk about it, the likelier Microsoft will fix it, so we will have something new to talk about. :rolleyes:

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

XP is very stable. I have had only about 5 blue screens since installing XP several years ago. Three of those blue screens were caused by MS patches.

I shall stick with XP. A few of my reasons: (1) Upgrading my OS is a solution, but I do not now have a problem. (2) Security is fun. It's one of my favorite hobbies. Drop XP & much of the challenge will disappear. (3) Without XP on my box, Wilders would become much less interesting. (4) I image daily, LIFO 60.

Long live XP -- the game is Afoot! :isay:

13. Sampei Nihira

Yes.
    Security is Fun.
    ;)

14. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Yeah, I've even found myself getting bored with XP waiting for it to get molested by malware. I've even left "doors" open, basically saying: "come on in malware and have yourself a party!" but they never show up :(

15. noone_particular

XP biggest liability is and will continue to be Internet Explorer, just like it was for 98 when its support ended. The simplest way to deal with unpatched Internet Explorer vulnerabilities is to deny it all internet access, block it from executing, or remove it entirely with XPLite or similar tools. Removing Internet Explorer does break some applications that depend on its components, most of which are other Microsoft products that will also be unsupported. Most of the rest can be made to work by adding the IE components they rely on to their Program Files directories.

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It must have missed me... thankfully. But I am recommending to other people to upgrade to Win7 x86, Pro or Ultimate.

17. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

XPocalypse, not now

Two months after Microsoft withdrew support for Windows XP, the catastrophic wave of exploits
    that security experts predicted would quickly wash over the aged operating system have
    failed to materialize.

Andrew Storms, director of DevOps at CloudPassage, a San Francisco security firm

"We all know there are still bugs in XP and we all assume there has to be some zero-days
    still to be found," Storms said, using the term for an exploit of an unpatched vulnerability.
    "[And] there is no doubt that some XP zero-days are prancing about the black markets as we speak."

http://www.itworld.com/windows/422210/xpocalypse-not-now

18. noone_particular

Quite true. One also has to assume that those same black markets also have zero-day exploits for Win 7 and 8. They've been predicting these avalanches of doom every time support ends for a system. I'm still waiting to see any of them, especially the one for 98 that was due years ago. Get rid of Internet Explorer and a few useless services and XP will be just fine.

19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

20. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

It's not like one day it just won't boot up or you'll have some worm on it, it'll just slowly fade away when less and less software and hardware supports it. Once software stops supporting XP, such as drivers, browsers, and security apps- XP will go the way of 98. I'll give it 2 years, maybe 4 years tops till XP becomes the oddball like other old versions of Windows only found on older computers.

Basically, XP is still usable now because software outside of Microsoft is still being released for it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  21. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

XP serves no purpose right now. It's not like a horse after a car was invented, horses were useful.

XP Is slower, less secure, has less features, and is missing some crucial components like TRIM for SSD drives (among others). So to be honest, there really isn't a logical reason to run it.. What for? To prove a point?

22. noone_particular

That is pure nonsense. XP browses the web just fine. Save for a few games, XP runs most anything the user needs. The risk is exaggerated, as is the security of the current versions. As for reasons, not spending money to replace hardware that isn't broke is one. Not wanting to pad Microsofts wallet just because they say so is another.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@DoctorPC: I'm more certain than not that you've already read why, but it just goes over your head if even considered.

At least make a proper analogy if you really want to be factually correct: XP is one of those 70's cars that are still very much prevalent in the world.

24. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

You could make the same argument for Vista though (lacking TRIM).

People will just move away from it as it starts not working in the long term (again, after software stops being actively developed for it). Though, I really don't get why they're still shipping 32bit versions of Win8, at least for home PCs. If Windows had some sort of PAE support, 32bit would be fine enough, but that memory limitation is starting to show with 4GB+ ram being the norm.

25. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I am puzzled by the 32-bit Win8 as well. I haven't ever heard of anyone actually installing the 32-Bit version. Even on older PC's the 64-Bit is a better option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.