Has the windows 2008 crash bug been fixed

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by majortom1981, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

I'm not saying it's the right reason, i'm just saying it's A reason :). Btw, it is a customer specific bug. We are running a server 2008 R2 machine with exchange 2010 totally stable with EMSX 4.2.10020.0. Doesn't mean the "bug" isn't there though.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see if the HP firmware update works..

2. dmaasland

Aryeh, just to let you know, this update is also available on other HP servers. I've just installed it on our DL180 G6 test ESX server :).

EDIT: woops, new post instead of an edit. Sorry about that.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The following might solve issues on Win2008 servers:
    - disabling the HTTP scanner driver by renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\epfwwfpr.sys in safe mode (a workaround for a bug in WFP for which Microsoft has not released a hotfix yet)
    - installing the latest version of EAV 4.2.67
    - enabling pre-release updates

4. kjetpett

kjetpett Registered Member

I actually have the same issue, and it's happening several times a week now (the lockups, no rdp etc) and from what I've been able to see it happens during backup. I have Windows 2003 x64/Exchange 2007 SP3 though - not Windows 2008.

Just upgraded from 4.2.10016 to 4.2.10020 today though to see if that helps.

Anyone else using Windows 2003 and have this issue?

5. marley1

marley1 Registered Member

Don't get the reasoning, I called ESET few times when I had this issue, send the file and got a doesn't look like any issue. Still froze up. Embarassing when you deploy a 6grand server and have it freeze the next day when you are not on site.

I have deployed Vipre on a few servers now, installs without a hitch, premade templates, no issues as of now, just installed on a SBS 08 box a few days ago.

6. scootrz32

scootrz32 Registered Member

We are seeing this same issue on SBS08 boxes only. I have several Server 2008 boxes that seem to run fine. However the SBS08 boxes lock up. No ping, no RDP, no share, NOTHING. Only thing that fixes them is a hard reboot. Sometimes they come back up and run for 48 hours before locking up again, sometimes 20 minutes. We had to uninstall becuase of this.

7. dmaasland

8. BradC

BradC Registered Member

I have exactly the same issue as scootrz32 on a new SBS2008

9. Marcos

Does this happen with the latest version 4.2.71 ? Also due to a bug in Windows Filtering Platform, it's recommended to disable the epfwwfpr.sys driver by renaming it in safe mode to prevent potential issues on Windows 2008 Server / SBS.

10. BradC

BradC Registered Member

We have uninstalled it now so can't tell you exactly what version it was. We downloaded it on 19th January 2011. I ran the SysInspector before uninstall, will that tell you what version?

I can only access the server remotely now (server 1,750 km away), so can't do the safe mode.

11. Marcos

I assume it must have been an older one as 4.2.71 was released last week. The changelog reads: Fix: Lockups on certain system configurations. So the issue you encountered with lock-ups may be already fixed. Similar symptoms were observed with the WFP driver enabled on Win 2008. To my best knowledge, Microsoft has already made a fix to this issue but probably it will not be made public before the next SP.
    Since you're unable to boot in safe mode, you can disable self-defense, restart the server, rename the driver and restart the server again.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  12. BradC

BradC Registered Member

Thanks Marcos - we'll give it another go then.

13. rjk

rjk Registered Member

I know that most servers have a Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI) Button somewhere on them, and I have heard tell that using this could generate a useful crash dump in the case of a frozen server. Would this work and/or be of any value? If so, it should be as simple as pressing the button, rebooting the server after the crash dump is finished, and taking a gander at the dump to see if it helps.

HP servers can generate an NMI remotely using iLO. I haven't tried using this feature, but it seems that it could be useful in this situation. Here is an excerpt from HP's documentation regarding this:
    Would this assist in the extreme case of a server freezing with NOD32 running on it?

14. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

15. historicmountain

historicmountain Registered Member

I just wanted to add, that we've uninstalled NOD32 from a few of our servers because of the freezing. We have chosen to have no anti-virus protection, because we couldn't have our PDC freezing and requiring a hard reboot. I've followed all of the suggestions as far as exceptions, both recommended by Windows and ESET, to no avail.

16. Marcos

Just to make sure, was the freezing occurring with EAV 4.2.71?

17. dmietto

dmietto Registered Member

I have test last version but nothing change. Now i have disable the driver

18. Double07B0nd

Double07B0nd Registered Member

I'm currently running 4.2.67.10 and have followed the advice in SOLN2567 (rename the driver) and the server (Win2008 R2) is currently running fine. Please can we get a definitive answer about this issue - has it been resolved in version 4.2.71 or not? If it is a Microsoft issue do they have a hotfix? I can't afford to keep bouncing the server to rename the driver or risk leaving the server to see if the problem still occurs. Will ESET update the KB article when it's resolved or is this forum the best place to keep checking?

19. Marcos

All known causes for freezing servers were fixed in 4.2.71. However, there can be numerous other causes for freezing, from a bug in Windows Filtering Platform to 3rd party software or outdated drivers that might interfere with ESET's drivers. If you have a server crashing even with the latest version, convey a complete memory dump to ESET so that we can analyze it and determine the cause, eventually telling you the exact software / driver you should update in order to resolve the issue.

MS will probably include the hotfix in the next service pack. To my best knowledge, they haven't released a specific hotfix for this bug yet.

Sure, the KB article will be updated when MS releases a hotfix. Also it will be announced here at Wilders' as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.