Has Online Armor Firewall been discontinued?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by VectorFool, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

^^^ This. Quit beating a dead horse people.

2. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

From my understanding they improved the firewall in EIS compared to what OA 7 has.
    I liked the HIPS, but was hoping they would have also concentrated on better improving the firewall in OA.
    The power/strength was definitely in the HIPS portion.

Of course you had more options available in the premium version as the free version was
    somewhat more limited which is understandable. Overall though a good product.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i think we misunderstood. ESET ever called it "ThreatSense", newer products call it rah-rah "cloud".
    i consider "cloud" as a wrong term for collecting/mining data on central service. i admit that collecting samples/hashes/experience has advantages but i wont call it "cloud" - since "cloud" ist short for "cloud computing" and that term has a complete different background in history.

OA itself rarely made me trouble except with cfos/cfosspeed before it was sold. learning mode was nice n easy. one of my favorits in order: atguard, outpost, OA, Look'n'stop, Eset Firewall, Windows 7 Firewall Control by sphinxsoft. (all paid, similar functionality)

pity when emsisoft is switching off OA servers.

Emsisoft AV "behavior blocker", i remember too much options for it, at least its a HIPS with a dozen of rules, but can not reach OA nor it is a firewall. (i never tested the suite, suites are no-no here).

Cheers

4. Alexstrasza

Alexstrasza Registered Member

In EAM/EIS v10 you cannot mess with the behavior settings in the Behavior Blocker any more.

OA's firewall is incorporated into EIS.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That last statement is incorrect. OA's firewall is not incorporated in to EIS. The EIS firewall was written from scratch.

Pete

6. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Actually, they used OA's firewall core. ;)

7. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

You're actually both right to a certain extent. We've extracted the core of the OA firewall, added some new features like IPv6 and a new rules processing unit, and bundled it as a new firewall-SDK that is now used in EIS.

8. Alexstrasza

Alexstrasza Registered Member

I was pretty sure I read somewhere that "part of Online Armor's code lives on in Emsisoft Internet Security"...

Thanks for the clarification Christian!

9. ichito

ichito Registered Member

And that's the end of story...already nobody can install and use OA.
    http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/17603-new-installations-blocked/

10. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

That is untrue. As I said, only new licenses can't be activated. If you do own an Online Armor license that has been activated at least once in the past, you can continue to use that license even with new Online Armor installs.

11. ichito

ichito Registered Member

That's your words and there is no exception.

Is it untrue?...no free version...no new licences...and what about people who have valid licences that had not been activated yet becouse of some reasons? Where and when you (as Emsi) said about such decisions and steps?
    Your statement on blog don't talk about those consequences. Yes, OA is your app...no doubt about...your business and your decisions...but it does not mean that you treat users fairly and friendly.

12. ropchain

ropchain Registered Member

1. Making OA free and open-source will not solve your support issue.
    2. New OA licenses are no longer sold either and I do not expect that people will have multiple 1 year licenses laying around, so the impact of no longer activating licenses will be quite low I suppose.
    3. The revenue generated by OA was not even covering the salary of 1 developer.
    4. Al this information is available on Wilders and this discussion has already been held a few months ago.

13. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Those are my words, but it is not what I said. You are intentionally putting a quote out of context in the hopes of creating unnecessary drama and it is blatantly obvious.

To quote our blog, that has been displayed as the latest news entry in Online Armor for the past 3 months and continues to be displayed as the latest news item until we turn off all Online Armor servers on April 1st 2016:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.