Has MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Pro Ever saved you from an infection?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Krusty, Jan 9, 2016.

?

Has MBAM Pro ever protected you?

1. Yes, often

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  2. Yes, but rarely

17 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. No, not ever

57 vote(s)
    62.6%
  4. A long time ago

12 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I vote for number 1.:)

2. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

MBAM once blocked open candy, but that was expected, cause I knew that it was bundled.
    The web filter often blocked sites I wanted to visit, and it slowed down surfing.

Although I have three lifetime licences, I disabled starting with windows, on all machines.

I still use MBAM often on customer machines, to remove remnants, that ADW-Cleaner and ZAM missed.

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I notice no slowdown whatsover from my Comodo D+. UAC on the other hand takes a good few seconds before it pops up. And real-time AV's slow down my entire setup.

I do agree that Nod32 2.7 was the lightest AV I've ever used.

4. Aura

Aura Registered Member

Never, because I don't get infected. But I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium as a protection layer so it could stop infections in case my current setup and common sense fails me.

5. jadinolf

MBAM.jpg
    Since I stumbled on this subject and no one is around, I have an interesting MBAM story (to me anyway).

Here goes: I had 5 lifetime licenses and only 4 computers so I gave one license to my favorite sister in law. Oh yes, I gave her a HP Compaq laptop with it too.

Now- in late March of this year I added another computer to my collection and at that point I was sorry that I gave my license to my sister in law.

Well, MBAM changed the rules and there were on more lifetime licenses. I looked around and saw them for sale on eBay for as much as $100 and they also have fake ones there for as low as $8.00. How that guy gets away with it is beyond me

Bear with me now, this won't take long.

A couple of weeks ago I was going through a loose leaf notebook I keep on my i5 computer and I stumbled on this really pretty card from MBAM and a MBAM CD. Now I was really confused. I bought my other licenses on line and all I ever got was an email with the license information - never a card and a CD.

So--- I started looking at Newegg -- but if I got it from them - when did I buy it because I had no memory of ever buying it.

Getting close now. I poured through my purchases at Newegg and discovered that I had purchased it on 3/30/2012.

The invoice says:
    DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #4627X -$7.99
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Lifetime $22.99
    Subtotal $15.00
    Tax .50
    Promo Code $8.05
    Order total $7.45

What a steal. I guess my thought was "Heck, at that price I can't afford not to buy it".

That's it folks. Too bad no one will ever see it.

I love having 5 lifetime licenses.

Sorry for the extra graphics. Just didn't know what I was doing.

6. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

A long time ago...:cool:

7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

No, not ever.

MBAM used to be the It-software, but now I think it's resting on its laurels. I use AdwCleaner to scan on demand, with other brands on standby just in case..I have other stuff for RTP. Sorry......

8. jadinolf

I must confess that I use my 5 computers every day but can't remember the last time it found anything.

That's not MBAM's fault. I guess I just don't wander into dangerous territory.

9. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Well if you avoid getting infected online, it's to your credit more than anything else. Isn't Malwarebytes intending to incorporate Junkware Removal Tool and an anti-ransomware into its software sometime? I'd rather have several good standalone products than one that tries to be all things.The scanner (threat scan), though good, is comparatively slow and it smacks the bejeebers out of my C drive. Not necessary. Real time protection, the part you pay for, also not necessary.

So many people still swear by this product, though. Its marketing is the best thing going for it (ouch, sorry).

10. jadinolf

I would love to see more posts here.

An interesting subject.:)

11. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I set up mine so I don't get infected no matter what I do. In testing years ago, the realtime protection stopped the majority of malware samples I ran, so back then I recommended it to a lot of people. I don't use it now except for manual scans.

On other PCs I've seen the real-time IP protection give clues that a PC was infected (preventing outgoing connection to an IP when no web applications running). This also meant that the real-time scanner failed to prevent the initial infection. On one the rootkit was firmly established (replaced system drivers IIRC), on another it was just a simple trojan whose logs showed it had been unable to phone home. In the latter case, most manual scans failed to find the trojan (including MBAM & HitmanPro) but I found most of it by hand, and some additional pieces with RogueKiller.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have a license but I don't even have it installed anymore. My AV, Sandboxie, Shadow Defender and system images are more than enough for any contingencies. Many years ago I used it along with other applications to clean up my sons computer which was more often than not infected. I've used it as a scanner with Hitman pro to check my computers for a couple of years, and never ever found anything. It is a great program to clean infected machines and for people who rely on scanners only for their security...

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I have lifetime license also but run it as on-demand scanner only. Sometimes it finds ask search engine in Chrome as unwanted (usually after major Chrome updates). I just delete search engine from within Chrome and all is well.
    I agree that it's a great OD tool to clean infected machines, though.

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Does anyone know if Malicious Website Protection works for all browsers, in particular Edge and Cyberfox?

I've asked on the MBAM forums but haven't received a definite answer as of the time of this post.

Thanks.

Malicious Website Protection

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I had to change my vote as I've been testing sites listed at openphish.com and between Google Safe Browsing, MB, my uBO lists and my ISP's Network Protection not a lot gets missed. Most recently tested with Edge so Norton was partially out of the equation, although it did block some cryptominers the others missed. BlackFog Privacy did block a couple of sites too but perhaps because others were blocked elsewhere it may not have had to act.

16. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I really liked EMET from Microsoft, so when it was dropped from Windows 7, I got invested in mbae. It ended up being absorbed into the main MBAM license. I would have preferred it stay separate. I looked at ransomware protection but ended up not getting a standalone program. MBAM bundled that in as well.

I bought 2 premium lifetime licenses for our W7 systems. When I used the free version for years I never had to be saved from an infection.

Going forward, I am really concerned about what is coming down the chute with Spectre. W7/32 + old hardware + Intel chips + no BIOS update protection = juicy target. I am not being gullible, I know that MBAM will not be able to block a Spectre exploit if it comes in like a cruise missile. I only expect them to build a definition update as quickly as possible so I can continue using these systems until eol.

In 2020 I hope to buy a spanking new AMD processor. It will have Linux on it - and alas, no MBAM. I'll give my premium licenses for MBAM to anyone who would like to have them.

17. ClaytonThomas

ClaytonThomas Registered Member

Used the Windows version for a while, but just the free version of Malware Bytes. In Win10, I never had any infection, at least until I uninstalled Win10. But I think the free version of Malware Byte for Android is useful, in case I want to monitor which apps access to my data, such as location, storage, camera etc. Just run the scan and use the Privacy Audit setting.

18. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Registered Member

It has stopped adware like opencandy from installing.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I just got the occasional FP with this product.

20. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

My experience summed up perfectly.

21. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

Does hiru.exe count? When I have tested malware sandboxed, WD often gets in first, but I'm sure MBAM got it that time.

However nothing deleted the folder hi.ru lived in; just neutralized and moved on.

It was a passenger with some dubious software that virus total flagged as dodgy when I checked the installer files after, but WD and MBAM didn't care when I did a manual scan of the installation folder.

As far as activity is concerned, MBAM is always blocking sites, goes crazy while torrenting or changing settings when updating Chrome. However this is for the 'lowest common denominator' user and really of no value. Still, I don't mind the psychological reassurance that it is awake and aware. But then again I like maximum inconvenience mode for Voodoo Shield, Glasswire and WD folder protection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.