Has Malware Ever Disabled Your Security Software?

Discussion in 'polls' started by HKEY1952, Apr 2, 2012.

?

1. YES

25.4%
  2. NO

74.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Happened once in 2006, the directory and drivers of the security software got wiped out entirely. A couple of months later I found a dozen trojans and a rootkit from the machine and got interested about security. Haven't got infected since.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

A few times I encountered installation and updating problems with various AVs*. It made me suspicious... made me wonder if malware might be the cause of it. But I blamed it on the software, then I blamed it on the software the 2nd time, then I discovered a MS Fixit tool that cured whatever was wrong. But it did seem coincidental that I couldn't update and/or install a security program.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  3. poison

poison Registered Member

Not in the last couple of years since self-protection on most seems to do a decent job but yes malware has disabled my security software before. AV anyway.. I don't recall it ever disabling my 3rd party FW etc.

4. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Never happened to me.

5. russland

russland Registered Member

My setup has not been disabled to date, but I have encountered only A very few times when malware has tried to install on my systems. All instances were identified and stopped by my defence setup(so far so good).

6. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

Back about 8 years ago I had Malware *

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

yes, although it's been a few years.

i remember fixing a friend's computer *
    the malware had disabled the AV that was in their machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

In post #4, I said that it hadn't happened on my equipment. I'd forgotten about the early days when I used a conventional security suite, a combined AV, firewall, privacy protecting, popup blocking, everything plus the kitchen sink bloated mess. I was searching Google for sites about a subject that should have been no problems. The search led to a site that started opening tons of popups. They blew right thru the suites popup blocker. A few seconds later, the AV component crashed, followed by the rest of the suite. Shortly afterwards, the entire PC crashed. Upon reboot, the suites AV tells me I'm infected and it can't remove it.

That big name security suite was the only security app I've ever purchased and it was removed a few months after I installed it.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Malware has never made it past my security setup that i'm aware of.

10. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

For 5 years I have not been using some AV resident or real-time scanners, I never had malware disabled nor bypassed HIPS even with deliberate malware executions and leaktestings.

But pre-HIPS, I have lots of AV bypasses and one time malware completely messed up the partition.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. lurker20

lurker20 Registered Member

I had a chance to work on few machines as a tech and I noticed few malwares exploited im age file exequtions and had a huge list of security software process list. It successfully prevented running processes listed there.

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yes, absolutely.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

No. Hardly get any malware.

14. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Funny, I voted no and yesterday my sister called me saying she got a virus when she tried to download a movie.

It was a fake AV, don't remember the name now but she couldn't run any exe file, because she would get a message "this file is infected". She had Avira free, but I couldn't open it 'cause of the same message.

All I had to do was boot in safe mode and run Kaspersky Virus removal tool ehe

15. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Thank You for your participation in this Poll:

It was interesting reading about all the different experiences with Malware.

Regards,
    HKEY1952

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.