Has ie9 really been secured enough?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by PunchsucKr, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

Hi.. so i did a scan through secunia psi... and found something rather interesting,

while ie9 was all green for secure browsing, firefox 4 has some attack vectors apparently...there's something you dont see everyday. or is this old news and i'm just noticing now.

Attached Files:

• ppp.PNG
      ppp.PNG
      File size:
      169 KB
      Views:
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's probably the WebGL exploit which updating to v5 fixes. Secunia PSI is NOT a sign of the security of a browser, simply a record of known exploits and whether they have been patched by the vendor, and by you.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

How is that not a sign of security in the browser if one of them is shown to be patched against certain attacks and one isn't?

And yes, out of the box I'd say that IE9 is far more secure than Firefox.

4. PunchsucKr

i guess all known holes patched IS a sign of security, at least when the user's discretion is not involved...eg. falling for social engineering attacks and such.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

IE8 was already secure enough, but anyways Secunia made a mistake by stating no solutions when Firefox 5 has been released 2 days ago.

6. PunchsucKr

i wasn't aware of this...rarely use ff and neither did it notify me of any updates.

edit: i had checked around 24 hrs back, its now listed ff4 as eol.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, unless a user runs the ActiveX Filtering in IE9 (which is not the default), it's not as safe as I would want it to be. (And it would still have that butt ugly GUI!)

8. PunchsucKr

well i prefer the "butt ugly GUI" of ie9 to that of ff4... a matter of personal preference..that and the excellent hardware acceleration.
    and yeah i'm using the activex filtering as well as tracking protection..so i guess its the browser that i'm sticking to.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Could say the same for firefox addons for which any website can try force you to install.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

As people said, i consider IE 9 to be more secure out of the box. But i don't really know :D

11. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

Hi,

Looking at the screenshot... the vulnerability in question appears to be Secunia SA44972. It looks like the software you are using simply informs the user if there are any known vulnerabilities that are unpatched.

-MessageBoxA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.