Has BitDefender Discontinued its Free Version?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Randy_Bell, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

All I see for free BD is the old version 7.2
    http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=24

The version 8 series are all paid ones. Has BD decided to stop offering a free version. The version 7.2 is about a year old now, my license for it is almost expired, and the usual uninstall-reinstall does not renew my license.

Does anyone know for sure?

Warmly, Ran

2. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

It's on that page. Just click on the "Free Kit" link.

3. Randy_Bell

That will download the OLD version 7.2, which is what I'm saying ... there doesn't seem to be a new version 8 of the FREE BitDefender .. shucks. ;) That is the same version {identical file} I got around March of 2004; my license for free is about to expire. :mad:

Attached Files:

4. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Misread the post. Bit much to expect V8 for free ;)

I use 7.2 free as a back up and it's fine.

5. Randy_Bell

Hehe, well maybe not version 8 but a version 7.3 of BD Free Edition would be nice. Before version 7.2 they had version 7.1 of the free one, and each download lasts for one year, then at the end of that year they start nagging you to renew or {I presume} get the paid version. I don't wish to appear a "cheapskate" but I already have two paid {licensed} AVs -- NAV and KAV -- neither of which is cheap; I don't need another paid AV, I was using the free BD for testing purposes. I test new samples to see which AV is detecting them. ;) Thanks for your reply. ;)

6. noone

noone Guest

Have you tried emailing support at all? It can't hurt to simply ask for a new license for the free version. They would also have a better idea if BitDefender Free is going to be updated or discontinued.

In any case, let us know how it goes, in the past I've always recommended BitDefender Free as a backup scanner, this could be the turning point.

7. Randy_Bell

I broke down yesterday and purchased BitDefender 8.0 Standard. Works Great, I disabled the realtime monitor {RTM} since NAV is my RTM; I just use BD as a backup and, as I said, to scan samples that I receive, for research and comparision purposes. {I submit a lot of samples to SARC/NAV to help out my Vendor}.

Attached Files:

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I use Bit Defender free as my ONLY av. I didn't realize they would nag me after a year (I haven't used it that long ...several months only...so I have a ways to go before the year is up). I think it would be a shame if they don't continue to offer a free version. It updates so frequently which would be nice but I get an error every update and I have to go in and try a second time and then it updates properly. I don't know why it can't update on the first effort.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well BD has problems with its update server...I cant get it on first try either!

10. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Whats the difference between BD 8 standard & BD free version? Do they have any extra virus signatures which free ones doesnt have? o_O

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No there is no difference in signatures...Just that BitDefender 8 Standard has better engine and has real-time monitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.