Has anyone used Spyware Doctor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Daveski17, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Has or does anyone use Spyware Doctor? If so, how does it compare to other anti-malware apps? I'm just curious, thanks.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I used it years ago.

Then they released a 'final' version that was worse than the worst beta version I'd ever seen.

A very bad product, and very unethical practices by Pctools. Since then the company has lost my confidence.

I don't know how the latest version 'performs'.

But in my experience you don't need an antispyware application if you have a good AV/suite (check for AVs that perform well in av-comparatives.org).
    Viruses and spyware have blended into 'malware', and the good AVs/suites can handle both. Just make sure you keep your applications patched, remove vulnerable applications that you don't need. And of course, use 'common sense', which includes using a safely configured browser.

If you want to invest money I recommend getting a good imaging setup (hardware and software).

For removing personal data, I suggest CCleaner, slim build (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds)
    Don't forget to flush Flash cookies once in a while.

And a good read: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252253

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the information. I was just wondering. I have a complete AV suite & even a hardware firewall in my hub/router. The AV is highly rated by AV Comparitives. I also use Windows Defender, SUPERAntiSpyware & SpywareBlaster. My main browsers are Opera 10.10 & K-Meleon 1.5.3 (with SRWare Iron as back up). For an added precaution I can easily toggle javascript off/on with K-Meleon by pressing F7 & Opera can be set up to toggle the JS on/off fairly easily for added protection.

Plus, I'm just careful! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.