Has anyone tried converting Win 7 64-bit to Win 7 32-bit ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Defenestration, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Has anyone tried converting Win 7 64-bit to Win 7 32-bit ?

An apparently reliable method is documented here, but I wondered if anyone here had tried before I tried myself.

Reason why I'm considering downgrading is so I could use Zemana AntiLogger...

Unless someone knows of a good anti-logger for Win 7 64-bit ?

2. Defenestration

I posted before reading the full method myself :oops: , and it's not about doing an in-place conversion (ie. so I don't have to install and setup everything again), which is what I want to do.

Anyone know if it's possible to do an in-place conversion from Win 7 64-bit to Win 7 32-bit ?

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

there is no in place method. nothing that works anyway

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Based on the dubious content of that site, you'd probably be wise to steer clear of that method. Why not just image your current install and install a new 32 bit?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

64-bit is safer than 32-bit anyhow. Try Prevx Safeonline (also has free Facebook version).

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Spyshelter looks like it fits this requirement.

Attached Files:

7. Defenestration

Thanks everyone + Blackcat!

@wat0114 - I don't want to do fresh install as I then have to install all apps again and setup Windows just as I want it, which is tedious.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You're wasting your time and will probably just make a big mess of things. There is really no way to change x64 back into x32. Just do a fresh install of 32 bit Win 7 and be done with it. It only takes a few hours to do everything, no big deal.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Kerodo is right. Just make an image of x64 as you like it. Reinstall with x32 and make it as you like, then make an image. Now you can use either as the mood suits and the tedious work is over.

Sul.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Worst reason ever. Sacrificing 1st party security for 3rd party security? :ouch:

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I won't argue that x64 is more secure than x32, on paper, for the average user. But would you still stand by that statement if you did a lot of things such as banking that you might be concerned about keyloggers? AFAIK x64 nor x32 offer any protection from keylogging presuming you get the keylogger to install in the first place, which will most likely happen when you willingly install some software it resides in.

My point is simple, the right tool for the right job. If the OP has reasons not to utilize security means that will stop a keylogger from being installed, and Zemana is the tool of choise that can get the job done, why would that be a bad reason?

Sul.

12. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The above method is not a downgrade; only a way to re-install windows without loosing the OEM key-certificate activation.

The only way to upgrade/downgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit is with Laplink PCmover .

Panagiotis

13. elapsed

Are there no 64bit anti-loggers in existence? there are so many surely there must be one.

Also, wouldn't using a 64bit browser like IE9/Fx Beta solve that issue? Since the keylogger would most likely be virtualized 32bit I'd assume it wouldn't be able to access anything typed into a 64bit process.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That's not the "only" mover software out there, you'll find other brands besides LapLink.

Non of the above which I'd use anyways, in the past, myself and many other who have tried them have found that they are buggy and result in the new computer being botched up.

I'm curious how it deals with transferring software 'tween 32 and 64 bit OS's also....as some software installs its appropriate version upon installation. Now if you try to "move" a 64 bit install into a 32 bit OS...oh boy...get out your restore CD.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I don't know if there are 64bit anti-keylogger, but one would certainly assume so, at least one that is comparable.

Why would a 32bit virtualized process not be able to work in 64bit? Is there a difference between that and any other 32bit app that you might run, can't they all interact? Isnt' that why it is virtualized? Maybe the OP just needs to know of an alternative to Zemana that works in 64bit, of which I can't supply because I don't use them, never have.

Sul.

16. elapsed

No, 32bit processes cannot interact with 64bit in any way whatsoever. Hence the extra layer of protection your 64bit apps (such as AV) have from being tampered with by 32bit malicious code. 64bit processes are completely invisible to 32bit processes, so how would a 32bit keylogger catch keystrokes in a 64bit browser?

17. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Did you guys Fail to read Blackcat's post? Spyshelter (World first 64 bit anti keylogger)

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hmm. So just becuase the OS virtualizes the 32bit address space into 64bit does not mean that the OS allows the 32bit now virtualized to 64bit to access other infos that are natively at 64bit? I had thought when the 32bit was virtualized, it would. I haven't paid much attention to this really, so just throwing out questions that come to mind.

Sul.

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Must have.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.