Has anyone tired any other backup products?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by unimpressed, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unimpressed

unimpressed Guest

After watching version 7 crap out on the rescue cd boot up, I am seriously consdiering looking at other products. What good is a HD backup that don't boot? Folks, it can't be that difficult. If Micro$oft can do it, anyone should be able to do it. Why not simplify it and just boot to DOS so that it works every time?

2. myst2004

myst2004 Registered Member

Why not trying Symantecs (formerly Powerquests) V2i Protector 2.0
    Ghost

or

Deploy Center (Powerquest) 5 (with DOS Boot-Disks)?

But I have restored so many systems (MS) with Trueimage 7, and if the diskgeometry is without fault, there have been no mistakes in my cases.

3. sapperdeflabber

sapperdeflabber Registered Member

I am personally very disappointed about the lack of adequate and promptly customer support.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Once again, I have moved an imaging software comparative thread out of the Acronis forum. That forum is for Acronis issues. Here is software & services you will find several previous threads discussing this topic as well.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Unimpressed, check out this comment, but let the page load (it's an unusual link).
    You can get it here.

GF

6. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

HI,
    I bought Acronis 7 and 8 and every backup was corrupt. I backed up to CDs, DVDs, local hard drives and external hard drives. Tech support was unable to help me, finally they stopped responding altogether. I finally got a refund.

I then bought Norton Ghost 9.0, it also comes packaged with Norton Ghost 2003. I couldn't even get either one to install properly. I never got any response from their online tech support. Phone support is $29.95 a call and a waste of time and money.

I have been using PowerQuest 2002 for several years, but have been looking for a backup program that could backup from within Windows. It works great, but you can't use the computer during a backup (about 45 minutes to back up 5 gigs of data on my 80 gig hard drive).

I finally found the answer. It's called Image for Windows and includes another application called Image for DOS. It works perfectly. I back up my hard drive in about 6 minutes while still working in Windows. Backups to CD or DVD are bootable. It costs less than a support call to Symantec. I tested every feature for the past 2 days and I am totally sold on it. I emailed tech support several times with questions and got an answer within the hour. You can get a fully functional trial version at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/. If anybody has questions, feel free to contact me. :-*

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  7. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The old Drive Image 4 works well for me. Those proggies that don't run in windows environment are more robust.

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Snapshop is great...I hated Acronis to many whistles and bells..

9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Whaqt about Norton/Roxio's GoBack 3 ??

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    I have yet to find use (translation: spend $$$) on anything that I liked (translation: this is great) and the products I have spent $$ on I really am not all that impressed. I use a older version of BACKUP MYPC (ver. 2.85 does that sound right, not sure). I got real serious and bought a Iomega External 40 Gig HD and loaded their auto backup software and never used it :eek: but I also ordered for free a Norton Ghost 2003 disk through them and image to the external HD monthly. But all the magazine articles you read are right about this process. WHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR!!! :p

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Go Back runs in the background, which will reduce the performance of your PC. Go Back is NOT an imaging software. Therefore, it does not back up EVERYTHING in your partition. But it's still better than windows system restore.

12. mercurie

Creature Nod,
    That is exactly right. Lots of people confuse that "revert back" stuff as a backup plan. NOT!!! Better then nothing, but is useless if HD fails. Make no mistake that is not a backup your system or files plan. ;)

13. GlobalForce

14. no13

What about Digital Dolly
    http://www.download.com/Digital-Dolly/3000-2248-10220910.html?tag=lst-0-1

Software Publisher's Description

Digital Dolly is hard-disk-partition image and cloning software that runs completely from a bootable CD-ROM. Digital Dolly can back up and restore hard-disk partitions directly to and from Windows file servers, and supports most common network cards. Simply put the CD-ROM into the drive and reboot. The system will auto-detect and configure the network card. There is no need to customize a boot disk for every machine. System administrators can remotely control the whole backup/restore process. Digital Dolly supports creating, cloning, and resizing FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, and Linux ext2 partitions and works with IDE, SCSI, USB, and FireWire drives.
    CNET User Opinions
    77% 23% (13 votes)

15. mercurie

GlobalForce,
    Is this free? I am just checking a few threads at lunch and can not hang around to long, I intend to look into this Drive SnapShot.

By the way I really do not mind not using the system while stuff is being imaged. I just hate to have to boot into DOS, would like to stay in windows. Does that really change anybodys opinion or mind on which product is best?
    Thanks, a useful thread as I am in the market for possible alternative solutions to this very much needed PC task. :)

16. GlobalForce

Mercurie, I haven't tried this myself yet, but I trust the advice of a resident guru here, and am leaning heavily toward this product. It's not free (about $40 or so), but it's one of two pay-for's profiled at TinyApps.Org (how-to link).

Thirty day trial download here. I like that it's light and doesn't install, also not a resource hog like some of the others I've read about. Check the spec's, 140kb executable requiring only 2Mb disc space. I'm willing to bet there's no pop-up ads to keep reminding you to buy either (I do not know this, although I do not think tiny would promote this otherwise).
    Sound's pretty efficient to me!

Late In : From another thread in this forum, Back4Win courtesy of "BigC". Hope you don't mind, Master Jedi. :doubt: free version available scroll to bottom of the page.

GF

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2004
  17. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

I tried most all of the well known drive imaging programs, but the most reliable was PowerQuest Drive Image 2002. It always worked flawlessly and never let me down. It saved me many times. However I longed to be able to run a backup from within Windows and maybe even to back up to a DVD. I tried PowerQuest 7 against your recommendation and found you were right. It was bad news. I then tried Acronis True Image 7, it also offered the features I was looking for but was even worse. I was still determined, so I tried the new Norton Ghost 2004, it was the worst of them all. I remembered FRED LANGA liked Boot IT, so I gave it a try and found a bit to confusing. I was resigned to sticking with PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 when I noticed Image for Windows on the Boot IT website. I downloaded a fully functional trial and tested it for several days. I backed up my hard drive to CDs, DVDs, remote USB hard drive as well as my second local hard drive, all from within Windows, within a matter of minutes! I could not believe it. I crossed my fingers and tried several restorations from various sources. The CDs and DVDs are even bootable. No problems whatsoever. Image for Windows even includes Image for DOS, and the website gives lots of tips and free add ins as well as instructions for creating a single boot floppy to create or restore an image. The entire program costs less than $30.00 or about the same price as one support call to Symantec. I had several questions before and after I purchased the program and every email I sent was answered within one hour. I can't say enough about how good this program is. With Drive Image, I made a backup about once a week. It meant I couldn't use the computer for about 2 hours while the image was being created. Now, using Image for Windows, a backup takes about 8 minutes and I can continue using the computer. Email me if you want more info, or go to their website: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  18. I recall seeing this somewhere, just can't remember. Anyway, take a peek, you can find info on their homepage,

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Thanks for the input, al92lt1.

GF

19. mercurie

GlobalForce,
    No Mercurie is big, big fan of BigC Master Jedi :D. Oh and you saw the terabyte link here somewhere I remember that one too. That is another one for consideration I think. ;)

20. no13

21. Lou_Dinunzio

Lou_Dinunzio Registered Member

Link below has ecellent assortment of software.

Believe they all have 30 day trail.

http://www.paragon.ag/

22. no13

sorry for the scanty details that follow...
    There was an article (I didn't see it, techies in college told us) on the web saying that system restore data can be compressed and sent to an iso (winrar will make iso's) and the iso can be written as an iso to the cd...
    again, sorry for the stripped details, but I just remebered this and thought you guys would like to know.

23. iain

iain Guest

I am having serious problems with Ghost 9.0 (2004), as reported in the thread to which no13 provided a link above.

I wonder if, when people say Ghost 9.0 is no good, they have experienced something like this:

* It can almost always create the image successfully, but when it verifies the image (either as part of the job or when I verify it manually in the image browser later), it says 8 or 9 times out of 10 that the image is "invalid or unsupported". if it tries to verify it as part of the job, but is unsuccessful in this way, it deletes the image it's made.

* however on every occasion, without fail, that it tells me the backup image is invalid, I am able to mount, browse and extract files from the offending image with NO problem at all. Now whether the image would be good for a system restore, I don't know, but I am reluctant to count on it!

* I have troubleshooted this in great detail and can testify that it is totally unrelated to any other programs or services or to XP SP2. I've installed Ghost on a new Win XP SP1 installation and it still rarely works.

* I suspect it MIGHT be something to do with using a SATA drive (backing up to an external USB2 drive), from what I gather about problems with Drive Image (which Ghost 9.0 basically incorporates).

Any ideas, thoughts, similar situations??

thanks
    iain

24. GlobalForce

This subject is fairly new for me iain, but instead of searching for problems, I googled "successful ghost image"
    (without quotes). You'd be suprised the results! (sorry no link, search pages change).

Give this a try and see if it helps.....

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.