Has anyone seen this little beauty?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Rainwalker, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I-Worm.Bagle.ZIP.Gen (Iworm) If so, what is known about it? Seems to be a variant of an oldie but baddie.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

3. Rainwalker

Yeah, I don't know much more then that. Strange, in that it seemingly has not reared it's ugly head in some time now. Thanks for responding. Anyone else seen it of late?

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not to go off-topic. But wow, a google search for "I-Worm.Bagle.ZIP.Gen" really shows how aggressive Enigma's marketing of Spyhunter is with their so called "removal" guides, so many links to their "removal" guides in the search results :sick:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, you're right Swex. Years ago, for actual removal of Bagle, I've used Norton's removal tool if I remember correctly.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Based on my recent searches on it, appears to be more of an "urban legend" perpetuated by those "grayware" security vendors we all know too well.

7. Rainwalker

Hmm, interesting. Am I right in thinking I remember something negative about Spyhunter and that it is best avoided? "Grayware"....This thing just appeared one day. I don't play with any of that "download now for a free scan" stuff. Malwarebytes KEEPS finding it and asks if I want to delete it...and yes, I want to delete it, so....... itman, if it is grayware might it be evolved enough so that Malwarebytes can't dump it? Probably a foolish question.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

There is a thread open on it on the MalwareBytes forum: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/181197-i-wormbaglezipgen/ . Don't know if that is you? Not enough info there to determine anything at this point. This is the only legit source I have seen it referenced so far.

I am suspicious since I don't see any sigs yet from any major AV players. Did you submit the malware to Virustotal for a scan?

9. Rainwalker

I had forgotten about Virustotal. It has been a long time since I have picked up anything.....I think. Thanks for the memory jolt. If a file is quarantined can Virustotal find it? I did a scan, but nothing showed.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

No. When quarantined, the file is unreadable. You would have to remove it from quarantine to have it scanned by VT.

11. Rainwalker

OK...thanks itman.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.