Has anyone got SP2 yet?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dog, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Just my opinion, but I would wait at least two weeks after it is released, maybe more. That should be enough time for early adoption issues to start to settle down. Watch the forums that relate to each of your security components and learn what problems they are having and the workarounds or solutions. If there is a major compatibility issue with an important security component, then you may want to wait until that component is upgraded. If you are up to date (patch wise) and have a good layered security set up, you could wait a little and not get burned with incompatibilities.

2. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I think I replied with this thought in another similar thread, but it's worth saying again, really. This is where drive imaging software comes in real handy. I regularly use a desktop, but still recovering from an extended illness, I am sometimes in bed a lot and use a laptop. I have put SP2 on the laptop and have seen nothing but benefits. But, if anything starts acting strange, I can simply pop my CD in with the image I made immediately prior to the SP2 install and voila! I'm back to things just as they were before the SP2 installation.

Drive imaging lets me play with software, do things I wouldn't normally do to test something, etc. and then turn around and slap the "good" image back on the computer. It's changed the way I do a lot of things actually.

John
    Luv2BSecure

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello John,

What program do you use to image to cd?

4. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Ronjor!

I use a copy of Drive Image 2002 from Powerquest - and love it. Since the Symantec purchase of PQ, it has been incorporated into the new version of Ghost. I have heard the new Ghost is like a hybrid of the best of Drive Image and old Ghost. Anyone here using Ghost 9 that can tell me how they like that?

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

From Guide for Installing and Deploying Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2:

"The Network installation is a self-extracting package that contains all of the files required to install SP2 on any computer running Windows XP. This installation option downloads all of the SP2 files to your computer from the network you are connected to. This can be an effective option for administrators who want to set up a shared network folder for deploying SP2 on multiple computers. It is also the method to use if you want to integrate the service pack files with Windows XP and deploy this installation to multiple computers."

Nick

6. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

done it today in safe mode! All ok no glitches at all..kewl !! ..i turned of the windows firewall?...as i have it on pc cillian? i asume i dont need 2?...does that yellow auto update thing in taskbar go away..wonder how the pop up blocker is?...regards maddawgz :rolleyes:

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Take some time to configure the security center.

Popup blocker is very good and it blocks more than popups.

Good upgrade from Microsoft.

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

9. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Been running SP2 RTM for almost a week now. It is very stable and has caused no problems with my applications. I hear it has a shot of Longhorn code in it as well. By the way, I don't use any of the new security features because all of my third party apps do that part.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Been there, done that, what's next? ? ? ;)

:D :D :D

11. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I've finally got SP2 via automatic updates. Very stable, no problems! ;)

12. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

Well, I finally got the notification for SP2 via automatic update. I'm still not sure if I really want since I have quite a few third-party apps that ensure my security. Does SP2 have any other benefits besides better security? What else would I need it for?

13. Brent

Brent Registered Member

It provides alot of under the hood security changes. Fixes vulnerbilites that were present in sp1 and prevents most if not all buffer under run errors.

Just intsall the update lol. You can disable the firewall and if your virus scanner doesnt work with the security center just tell it that you are monitoring it yourself.

If you have a current pop up blocker uninstall it and use the one built into IE. It works extremely well.

Microsoft wouldnt be spending this much money if you didnt need it.

14. mismis29

Thanx for the advice Brent :) Just one question though. There is a pop-up blocker that's built in to IE? Where? I do have the Yahoo! toolbar which has one, but I don't use it, I'm currently using AdMuncher.

Thanx a bunch :)

15. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... I final got it this morning 26th (automatic updates/no install) , while I was already in the process of installing it using the M$ V5 website ... figures eh! LOL , nothing like getting notification of AU half way during the install. :D

Overall it's a long process, about an hour ... including d/ling it from windows update. Installed smooth except for messing up my NIC & ADSL internal modem ... reinstalling the drivers was a quick fix!

It also unfortunately reinstalls MSN Messenger ... which I will remove again ... & I haven't check to see what services M$ has decided to turn back on, which I had shutdown.

Overall it was long but painless. ;)

dog - *puppy*

16. mismis29

Oh yeah,

In regards to SP2, I followed this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

and I noticed that I have some programs that are listed as "not compatible" with SP2. I like these programs and certainly don't want to get rid of them simply because this new service pack causes them to run incorrectly.

BTW, if I am going to have to re-install things as dog pointed out, I can't because I have no backup software :( I have a feeling SP2 might cause too many problems for me.

17. Brent

Brent Registered Member

I have programs that were listed as not compatibale as well.

They work fine.

Windows XP automatically creates a restore point anyways. So if something does go terribly wrong (which I seriously doubt it will) then you can always go back to right before you installed it.

I installed this on my other computer that was running Norton Internet Security. Everything worked fine. No program compatibility issues what so ever.

Yes IE does have a built in pop up blocker that will work as good if not better as ad muncher. So you can get rid of ad muncher and free of some ram if need to.

18. Brent

Brent Registered Member

What programs are you concerned about not working correctly?

19. mismis29

Hi Brent :)

I have ZoneAlarm 4.5., I might have to go back to NAV :rolleyes:, Norton System Works 2003 and Yahoo! Instant Messenger. As for the restore point, it has NEVER worked for me("System Restore" is 'On'-I've checked). I wish it did 'cuz I've had many problems with my machine and restoring it would have been extremely helpful.

Anyway, I've ordered the free SP2 cd, so I have some time to think about.

20. Brent

Brent Registered Member

System Restore has always worked fine for me.

Can you:

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Click Create a Restore Point

Type your description in (ex. Right before SP2 install)

Then click Create and then when its done close

You should be set then

21. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

mismis29,

That isn't Norton System Works 2003 Professional, is it?
    If it is, then you already have Ghost (an imaging backup program).
    It would be a good idea to make a backup image before upgrading to SP2, just in case.

22. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Staples is handing out XP SP2 discs for free. Don't know of any other office supply stores doing that.

You probably have a corrupt restore point somewhere in the chain of Restore Points, the integrity of each restore point is dependent on the previous one.

Shut SR off: My Computer > Properties > System Retore tab > Check "Turn off System Restore on all drives" - below, if multiple drives - have the option to differentiate.

Reboot.

Go back and re-enable SR - will create an initial restore point.

After re-establishing SR, a way to test the Restore function:

Take any executable file ( extention .exe) , and burn it out and/or move it to the My Documents folder and delete it from it's original location. SR does not monitor files in My Documents folder regardless of file type.

Then restore to the initial restore point created by the system; the deleted executable should be back in it's original location. Afterwards, you can delete the copy in My Documents.

Regards - Charles

23. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Has everyone backed up their files before installing SP-2? I guess sort of a yes or no poll question. Has anyone lost any files by installing SP-2? Anybody try the XP backup utility? o_O

24. Jack D. Browser

Jack D. Browser Registered Member

Philly, PA, U.S.A. & Tangier, Morocco, Africa
    It was sennt via Auto-Update to me about a week ago, I decided not to install, but instead, waited to install it from the disc that I ordered from Microsoft, which arrived a day or two later. These are offered free of charge, MS even pays the postage! Also, they sent me an extra one and encouraged me to pass it along to a friend. A word of warning, however, which I only found out at the last minute, is that before you install SP2, check with your PC maker for any new driver's or other prefixes that you may need to install on your PC PRIOR to installing SP2. One big deal I found with my HP PC with XP Pro MCE installed, was the fact that if a System Restore patch is not installed prior to the installation of SP2, you will lose any ability to access a system restore point prior to it's installation, so if it does mess up, then, you can't even restore your PC to ANY point in time prior tyo your installation of SP2. I'm glad I got that, because my first system sweep with Spybot S & D removed the new Wild Tangent drivers (Yeah, yeah, I forgot to check them off on the ignore list first.), however, when I tried recovering them--I think it was 4 separate ones--it messed up 2 of them, the games didn't work, along with a couple of other Media Center items that should have been unrelated. Since these Wild Tangent driver;s were also prefixes, that meant I had to uninstall SP2, so I could reinstall the driver's. The system restore prefix worked great, also creating a restore point at the time of SP2's installation, so I did everything over again, but this time I set Spybot S&D to ignore Wild Tangent, and now everything works fine. The point is, had I not installed those prefixes (I needed about 8 separate ones!), not only would I not have many things working right after installing SP2, but I would not have been able to do a system restore, except...well, you know, and what a HASSLE that would have been. Anyway, I'd just oder the CD from MS and install from that, as any large downloads like SP2 give me the creeps, as one little nick along the line and bang, the entire thing could be screwed-up! Actually, Microsoft had said they were going to be sending it as an update in three separate parts, with the third part activating the installation, since it is such a large file. However, I received mine all at once, and promptly deleted it! ;>)
    Sorry, for dragging this out, but if it saves one person from having to do a full system restoration, then, it will have been worth this expanded typing & reading effort.
    Regards, Jack D. Browser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.