Has anyone defeated the PC Flank Leaktest?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by truthseeker, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

At the risk of irritating you, I understand somewhat about what you are saying about the OLE.
    Ok thats what this test does, check to see that your FW/HIPS intercepts OLE.
    But the results at the end say that the string of text was "sent" to their servers which is false.
    That is why I said the test was unreliable, maybe I should have said the results were unreliable.
    But if the results say something that accully did not happen then how can one trust the test to begin with?
    Not tring to argue Stem, just tring to understand. That's all.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

AFAIK, ZA fails the PC Flank leaktest and so it blacklists the PC Flank website.
    The pass or fail is decided if the leaktest gains control of your browser throu OLE, not if data is/isn't transmited. The test is reliable, its output is ambiguous.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I understand that.
    All i'm saying is PC Flank's leaktest states this.

2008-02-22_130659.png

Which it did not. There was no connection for it to do so.
    The results are misleading, thats all.

4. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Yeah, misleading for sure when it says it failed internet test when a person isn't even connected to the internet :p As I mentioned earlier, I think it's a scam to get people to buy the products they advertise on their website. Very unethical indeed.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Perfectly stated, lucas. PCFlank could have or should have written the test a little better to say something to the effect that the test controled IE via OLE and that data may have been transmitted depending on firewall rules for IE or network connection status. It is assuming IE has full Internet access, so they would assume data was sent. And let's be honest, how many people with IE open with Internet access have it open for any other reason than to surf the 'net? ;)

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As I stated in post in post#7
    Now, lets look at this (analogy):

Lets say I am a "pick pocket" and I go around taking wallets out of peoples pockets. I pass you in the street and steal your wallet, a policeman sees me from across the street, runs over and arrests me. Would I go to court for attempting to steal the wallet, or for actually stealing the wallet.
    Just because I was caught after the act does not make me innocent of the actual act.

7. truthseeker

Great analogy!!!

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Let's look from the other perspective: if you want to pick a pocket, a success would mean only to actually steal the wallet from somebody's pocket, or both to steal the wallet and run with the money (and not getting caught by the police) ?

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I do think there is a lesson to be learned from this.

Such tests are based on certain events, with this test, the ability of the firewall/hips to correctly intercept and block OLE.

10. truthseeker

What exactly is OLE?

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I,ve creamed those Leaktests, every single one of them with mediocre security apps, but real malware is the ACID TEST, and i don't run to VMWare in fear of getting bit but task them straight to a test hard drive in RAW form so they can jump all over it all they want and meet up with some pretty formidable security programs, some that stop them in their tracks cold.

PC Flank i consider one of the weaker leaktests anyway, but it also gives a false sense of security because real world malware is coded much more craftily then any of them.

EASTER

13. truthseeker

Is there a free version of VMWare that runs on Vista?

I would like to run Ubuntu from within Vista if possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.