Has anyone actually installed CentOS into an ext3 partion?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by gegar, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gegar

gegar Registered Member

I've just used DiskDirector 10 to create an ext3 partition on my XP-based Dell laptop and then used OS Selector to boot into the Centos installation DVD so that I could get Centos installed and the laptop dual-bootable.

The result was fairly disastrous. Although I can still use the Windows partition, the Linux one (I assume) reports bad sectors all over the place and CentOS is certainly not recognized - in both Acronis DiskDirector and TrueImage.

During the installation I took pains to ensure that GRUB did not get installed - so not confusing OS Selector (I had hoped).

Has anyone actually installed CentOS (I'm using 4.3) or RH Linux successfully with Acronis? If so, are there any tips you could give me to be successful?

Thank you,
    G

2. gegar

gegar Registered Member

I've recovered the damaged partitions using Win XP disk management, since Disk Director could not manage it. I now have a new empty ext3 partition. If anyone can guide me to installation of CentOS 4.3 that would be great (or, I'm not choosy, perhaps OpenSUSE).

Thank you,
    G

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gegar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Most probably this issue is not related to Acronis OS Selector but to some particularities of CentOS. So we would like to recomment you to contact CentOS support on this matter.

Please take a look at this FAQ article which describes where the boot loader should be installed to.

Please also read the Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide. It can be very helpful for you.

However, it will be much easier to us to help you if you provide us with the diagnostic information. Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.