Has anybody tried dual layer?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bill bucci, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill bucci

bill bucci Registered Member

A few days ago I posted a question about direct writing to dual layer R+ DVDs with the latest build. Acronis referred me to their web site where it is stated that the latest build is compatible with dual layer. I already knew they claimed that. They also say that earlier builds support direct writing to DVDs. We all know that not to be true. What I want to know is has anyone tried direct imaging with the latest build to dual layer? Dual layer DVDs are expensive, and I don't wish to waste several if someone has prior experience.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Bill,

I think you misread the previous <Acronis Support reply>. It specifically says that DVD-R Dual-Layer disks are not supported as opposed to DVD+R Double-Layer, which are.

Regards

3. bill bucci

Your answer totally confuses me. Dual layer R- never was an issue. I did not misread the Acronis reply. My question still stands: has anybody tired writing directly to dual layer R+ using the latest build.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Bill,

Seems we could both be confused o_O. If you are referring to this <Acronis Support reply> then I see nowhere in the link to FAQ #27 that says its compatible with dual layer DVD of any kind.

Regards

5. dld

dld Registered Member

Pardon me for butting into this discussion, but aren't we splitting hairs for nothing here. Is there really a difference between DVD+R dual layer and DVD+R double layer. According to these links, they are one and the same:
    http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm
    http://www.dvdrw.com/why/doublelayer.htm
    So if Acronis claims that DVD+R double layer is fully supported, then is DVD+R dual layer also not fully supported?

6. bill bucci

Both the link and Acronis's reply say that DVD R+ dual layer is fully supported. But as I suggested in my earlier post I question the company's claims. Acronis said an earlier build would support writing directly to DVD. Then it turned out that the recovery CD couldn't find DVDs. I'd like to write directly to dual layer R+, because that would halve the number of DVDs I need to image my C drive, thereby minimizing the number of times I'd have to put DVDs in and take them out during a restoral. That's why I wondered whether anyone has tried writing directly in an image to dual layer.

7. bill bucci

I just read the other post about dual/double layer. Ah, now I see the confusion. I have a box of Memorex double layer DVDs. So my question is will build 3666 really allow me to image directly to these DVDs? Has anybody tried this?

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It looks like it should work but as you point out various things should work but in reality don't. It doesn't appear that anybody with interest in this matter is coming forward and it may be there is very little interest.

I would say you are going to have to do the test for the benefit of the forum. Somebody has to gamble on ruining somewhat more expensive DVDs! :)

9. bill bucci

You are right, somebody had to do the test to see whether build 3666 works with direct imaging to double layer DVD. So I tried it. Here's what I worked with: a Dell 8250 with 512 Mb of memory, a 120 GB hard disk, an NVidia 128 MB video card, a Toshiba double layer DVD burner, Verbatim double layer R+ DVDs. and Windows X Pro.

I first used my 3666 recovery CD to image my 20 GB C drive (I use my D and E drives to store images of my wife's and son's computer.) It took somewhat under two hours and three DVD to image the C drive. The third DVD only had 4 GB, the other two 8 GB (I wonder if it would have been possible to mix two DVDs and a CD for disk three?)

Next, I erased everything on my C drive using Acronis Privacy Manager and then put in the 3666 recovery C again and asked the program to restore from the double layer DVD. The program asked me to exchange disks (disk one, then disk three etc.) only two or three times. Then it proceeded to restore. the operation took almost four hours. To be safe, I had already stored an image of the C drive on my external hard disk.

The result is perfect. Everything was restored without a hitch. So for me at least build 3666 works with double layer DVDs for direct imaging. I wish, though, that restoration was faster. Still. congratulations Acronis.

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Technically, there are currently two formats on the market that support recording to two layers of a DVD disc. The first was presented by the DVD+RW Alliance for the plus ("+") format and given the formal name "Double Layer." The DVD Forum followed with its own standard for the dash format ("-"), which it dubbed "Dual Layer."

Folks mix up the Double and Dual and some machines that can deal with one cannot deal with the other, although the newer drives can handle pretty much anything.

To help add to the confusion, many companies refer to the two formats as "DVD+R DL" and "DVD-R DL," which makes them seem all the more like the very same thing.

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Cool! Glad it worked and I now offer my congratulations to you Bill, you have become the forum's DL guru. :D :D

(not sure you want the honor though)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.