hardware spam filter

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Ribo, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ribo

Ribo Registered Member

I have a customer who does not host their own mail. They have about 50 users and complain constantly about spam. They use the isp's pop3 email. Are there any hardware spam filters that work with this configuration? Something I could put on either side of their router or maybe one that is a router as well to replace their router? Does such an anmial exist or am I chasing unicorns?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The first one that comes to my mind is called the Barracuda. Supposed to be top of the line\state of the art. Believe it has a price tag to go with it. :eek: There are probably other as well.

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Smoothwall, ipcop, or astaro linux I think all have either spam filtering built in or a plugin which will do the job. This would replace the current router and use a linux box instead.

Alphalutra1

4. Ribo

Ribo Registered Member

Thanks,

I just looked at the barracuda. The low end system you can getfor about 1300 which they may be willing to spend. All their examples assume you are running exchange or an inhouse mail server. I guess I'll check with them and see if it will work with an isp's mail server. Iassume it would just be giving the barracuda a wan address and pointing the mx record to it then forwarding the mail to the isp where it actually gets checked. If that will work.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.