Hardware ISR?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chris12923, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

What do you guys think about this Radix protector http://radixamerica.com/index.htm ?

Here are the questions so far in this thread I will ask them when I call.

1. Can the images be stored on another disk than C.
    No.

2. Is it possible to defrag C while Radix is active
    They recomend defrag before install.

3. Is it possible to use another imager like SP or TI, while Radix is active

4. Can Radix be disabled rather than uninstalled.

5. Can a motherboard slot other than PC1 be used (is there a PC1e model)

6. If the card stops working, will the computer start without any BIOS adjustments

7. Is the hardware product software similar to or based on Rollback
    No

I'll update as more questions are posted until I call on Monday morning.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Looks a good one from what i have read ,guess in 95 % of failures it will help,....but restore/recovery points are on same disk,so its not possible to do bare metal recovery ! Still like the FDISR principle ,and its no way a serious contender.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting, but it does appear to use a reserved area of the disk, which apparently if it fills up starts deleting stuff.

I am not to thrilled with the hardware idea. I just went thru a hardware trouble shooting exercise with one of my desktops. The Velocity Micro guys are great, but since it was a screwy symptom involving the disks and raid array, they were even a bit nervous about all the imaging stuff and FDISR. We had trouble with a clean install and fixing that yielded clues, but working with the clean install took software out of the question. I can just imagine the issues that would have been raised with this thing in there.

I'd think twice, thrice, etc if I had a machine under warranty.

Pete

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Can someone please buy it and test :)

review toms hardware

HDS should get a distributorship.

Seems to have an equivalent "Data Anchoring" function to FDISR,also seems to place the images-restore points on the C drive.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  6. Hairy Coo

Failure should be covered by resetting BIOS so normal boots occur-however to what point?

Probably Windows last known good config.

Card failure of course is a factor,but in my ten or more years experience-have never had any card fail-graphics, network,sound-or TV-it would be bad luck.

Quality seems also to be improving with better capacitators.

Hard disks fail much more often for obvious reasons

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I probably have to pay immediately to get such a device and when I don't like it, will I get my money back ? I need a technician to install (and remove) this device. Nothing but trouble, I keep my FDISR, much easier.

8. Hairy Coo

As regards installing the card-this really is so simple and wouldnt take a person of your problem solving ability more than a few minutes.

Just open the bonnet and plug it in!

9. Hairy Coo

Another review HERE

and the manual HERE

10. ErikAlbert

The review sounds very good and probably a powerful and very fast solution for my next computer to replace my dead ISR-solution, which is certainly not as strong as this one. If nothing happens in the next 5 years to replace my actual solution, I will most probably choose this one. Thanks.

11. Hairy Coo

Erik Albert

Maybe you may read the review on post 4 and as a matter of interest give some general comments!

12. ErikAlbert

That is exactly what I want for my system partition, bring it back to its pristine initial state and I can even load other system partitions.
    That's the same as FDISR-snapshots and snapshots take also alot of space on my HDD. So there won't be much difference in space usage between both solutions.
    I don't believe in a restore-time of 30s, which is probably based on a pure Windows installation, I have more than that on my system partition.
    I hope I can backup/restore my HDD to save all that Radix stuff.

That is something what FDISR can't do at all and that is the best part of this solution.
    All these destructive malwares, doing low level changes on my HDD and destroying the complete system partition, are history now. I guess the same counts for BIOS and CMOS, which is an area, I don't know at all.

This is indeed a much better solution than FDISR and I'm glad I know about this. I won't use it immediately, this is something for the future, but it's nice to know in advance that there is a much better alternative for the dead FDISR.

13. Hairy Coo

Your comments are interesting,so there is hope that this hardware/software could prove to be useful and important within its restricted field.

It will also backup more than one drive.

The only limitation I can see with hardware of course is that it cant be trialled,but as far as I'm'concerned this fact wouldnt bother me

Edit-regarding backup /restore to save the Radix imaging on disk C-its obviously necessary as now,to also run a full imager like SP or ATI,especially as its on the main disk.

14. Chris12923

I'm going to try to contact Radix support today to see if the current drive state can be backed up using ATI or similar imaging products. If it can I most likely will purchase it. So from the sounds of it to you guys it sounds good yeah?

Thanks,

Chris

15. ErikAlbert

I can wait 4-5 years and meanwhile we can search for USER's reviews regarding Radix Protector and get more info.
    I wonder how long it takes to load a real system partition = Windows + Applications.
    If I get my desktop in 2 minuts or less, I'm satisfied and then I can use Radix Protector as a multiple snapshot ISR-software and users who want only a simple boot-to-restore ISR-software can use Radix Protector as well.
    The price is high, but this might change in the future and if it doesn't, I can still afford it.

This is the very first time I see something better than FDISR. Not bad at all. :)

16. Chris12923

The one thing that I have yet to see is can I take a snapshot when I want or only schedule snapshots on reboot/logoff/shutdown..etc. I definately want to be able to take a snapshot manually so i hope it can do this. They are open Monday thru friday I guess so I will have to contact them on Monday to find out :( Please list any other questions you think i should ask.

Thanks,

Chris

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several off topic posts removed. Instant system recovery programs do not mean all backup solutions should be compared to another in every thread.

The topic of this thread concerns Radix.

Please respect the original post in every thread on the forums.

If a comparison thread is desirable, start a thread elsewhere.

18. ErikAlbert

I have questions, but I have to read the manual first, which Hairy Coo gave me.
    So I need some time to ask the right questions and I hope I'm not the only one asking questions.
    For the record : I'm not in a hurry, my computer isn't that old and I like to enjoy my current solution for awhile.
    Many thanks for the tip, because you gave me new hope. :D

19. Chris12923

No problem. I look forward to the questions and yea I hope others give me some ideas too. i hate to spend the money and forget to ask them something important. :(

Thanks,

Chris

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is a very good question. Also I wonder if there is any on going development. Based on dates of review and documents it wouldn't appear to be.

Pete

21. Chris12923

Yea the dates are very old. I hope there is still development as well. I guess on monday I'll find out. Pete if you have any good questions like i think you do please list them so i can be sure to get all the info i need.

Thanks,

Chris

22. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have a Radix MLP USB that I purchased in Feb, 2005. It works ok, but I much prefer Raxco's FD-ISR.

If you lose the hardware key or it breaks, you are out of luck and can't boot. In addition, their site does not work. I can't download drivers or new software. I can't even submit a ticket as their server is broken. They may be out of business.

Silver

23. Chris12923

Can you explain why you like FDISR better? Advantages disadvantages please. I am not looking at the MLP USB but MLP PCI but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: Im tired and am not reading post correctly. I see now where you say the site doesn't work. Not good. I will call them now to see if I even get a answering machine or anything.

24. Chris12923

OK I just rang them and got the answering machine/v-mail. So it still seems they are open. I am looking at this site http://radixamerica.com/main.htm . Is this the site you are using?

Thanks,

Chris

25. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I uninstalled this program almost three years ago, so I really do not remember the advantages and disadvantages. I switched to ShadowUser in 2005 and then switched to First Defense about a year later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.