Hardware infrastructure of “vpn provider”

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by regast, Feb 21, 2015.

1. regast

regast Registered Member

what kind of hardware does vpn services like Hidemyass/cyberghostvpn/surfeasy

has ?

i little confuse of the hardware been use for vpn service, from what i read you can make

vpn through VPS host that as been install openvpn on it.

but there is also hardware solution that companies such as cisco/songfor/arraynetwork/juniper

provide.

2. Most VPN providers use cheap and nasty VPS servers from various companies.

Most well known companies are Edis, Softlayer, Leaseweb.

The good VPN providers use only dedicated servers for their service.

3. regast

regast Registered Member

When they are bought the vps they are install OpenVpn on them ?
    or similar software ?

i just read about "hardware vpn" [http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/hardware-VPN] or search in google "hardware vpn searchnetworking.techtarget ]

is this possible that companies such as Hidemyass/cyberghostvpn/surfeasy use hardware vpn rather then VPS that been installed vpn software on it ?

Thanks in advance!

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I suspect that most VPN providers run Linux (Centos, Debian, etc) plus OpenVPN on VPS and/or dedicated hardware. Also, I suspect that well-established VPN services with relatively few servers are using hosted hardware, whereas those with numerous servers (such as HideMyAss) are more likely using VPS. Some VPN providers might be using enterprise routers with OpenVPN as servers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.