hardware id privacy question

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by vfds67, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vfds67

vfds67 Registered Member

Hello,
    Im new to the topic of privacy and I hope someone can answer my question.

If a guy uses a linux liveOS within a usb flash memory pen on a computer, is it possible for surveillance/attacker to identify this guy by the specific and rare hardware built in in his computer? e.g. if he is using a very rare processor , a very rare usb flash memory pen , a motherboard with a rare bios version and so on. I mean surveillance/attacker gets hardware id/company of the computer and then gets customer identity over a shop.

if yes, how to do this? must be java script activated in the browser? attacker/surveillance must be root? and how to prevent things like that?

thank you very much.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Easiest way is MAC address, if you haven't spoofed that.

3. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i think instead of just any Linux Live CD you'd want to use something like TAILS because they are concerned with these issues like HDD serial #, CPU ID, partition UUID'S, etc. disabling javascript should prevent most of the risk but there are still ways to narrow it down to who you might be. on windows its WMI that they can get to thru javascript and there is something similar in linux i think called D-Bus(?). seems like there should be a way to prevent calls to WMI from the browser with some kind of security app (firewall or sandboxie?) but whenever i ask i get no answers.

there's a good read on some of this at Panopticlick on the EFF website (identifying bits of information) and also the JonDonym website.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Never ever browse from the root account, i.e. use the web browser from a user account.

J_L mentioned the Mac address which is essentially the identity of your NIC (Network Interface Card) - a board installed in your computer with a permanent unique id assigned by the manufacturer according to network interface standards. The mac address is like a postal address to deliver your web traffic to your computer from the Internet - and is the number one item which can identify your computer. Spoofing, at least allows you to claim plausible deniability - if you manage to not leave any tracks on your router of the spoofed mac address.

In order to modify (spoof) your mac address, it is necessary to run a routine, e.g. the command: macchanger -a eth0, which temporarily modifies the eth0 ethernet mac address during your current online session - preferably at boot time (Linux Liberte does this, Tails does not as yet, but plans to incorporate it at boot time), or for example prior to enable networking (like turning your router off before you boot, then run the macchanger command, then turn your router on).

-- Tom

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. Reality

Reality Registered Member

How can I change a Windoze (XP) Mac Address?

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

You can use Technitium freeware.

-- Tom

7. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Thanks. :thumb:

Downloaded it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.