Hardware firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by funkymonkeyboy, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkymonkeyboy

funkymonkeyboy Registered Member

Hello, I have been reading these forums for a while now and I thought it was time to register. This is a great place to find out information as there is alot of experienced users here. So just a little quick question that maybe someone could help me with. I have a ADSL 256kpbs connection. I have a software firewall (ZAP) latest build. Would you guys recommend using a ASDL router with firewall? If so which models could you recommend for me? Nothing too expensive. Less than £50. Thanks for your time.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The router is a nice thing to have, but really optional if you have a software firewall. The main brands like Linksys ane Netgear are the best bets. You might want a wireless access point for future expansion. Until needed the wireless feature can be turned off. These can be had on sale for less than $50, doubtless more expensive in England due to VAT.

3. funkymonkeyboy

Thanks for your reply. If I decide to get one, will it be easy to install and configure? I use Skype and other service. Will this be a problem?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi funkymonkeyboy

... and welcome to Wilders :)

For a stand alone system on broadband a router is not required but used by some as a first line of defense and something that is independent of your system. If you plan on sharing your connection (home network) then it is something you will need.

Routers by default will permit all traffic outbound. If Skype or your other service(s) require permitting inbound traffic most routers will have port forwarding options.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Skype will most probably not be a problem. Bittorrent is. You'll have to map the bittorrent ports from the firewall to you local system.
    Be ware of the ip address problem. Your local system gets an ip address from a dhcp server. In most cases this is the server from an ISP and your modem might just hand it over to your local system.
    If you introduce a hardware firewall, the public ip address that your isp gives you, belongs to your new hardware firewall and the dhcp server of your hardware firewall will give you a new local ip address.

Your Windows system doesn't care, the network card will just accept any ip address. But for your portforwarding config you'll need to know the internal ip address of your system, and that's not the public ip address from your isp.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

To what Meneer said I might add that ports are forwarded to a particular ip addrsss, for example 192.168.0.2. You must reserve that address for the machine receiving data from the forwarded port otherwise the router might assign that address to a different machine.

7. funkymonkeyboy

Thanks for your advice. My ISP uses PPPoATM. Do most routers support this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.