Hardware firewall question (syn atack)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by boombastik, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

I have a strange problem with my new modem-router.
    (d link 2640 b e1)
    I test it with grc shields up.
    Its firewall has many settins such as protect from dos atacks and port scanning.
    I have no problem with its all options but when i enable the protection from syn flood atack i have a strange problem.
    With flood atack protection enabled in in grc shield up test i take as result many ports as not stealth but as closed, but with it disabled i take all of them as stealth.
    Does anyone knows why when i enable protection from syn atack i take as result many ports as closed(red colour) instead of stealth?
    It is better to disable this protection?

2. itman

itman Registered Member

I beleive the sync flood attack and stealth settings on your router are mutually exclusive. If you have the ports stealted, a syn flood attack is impossible since no one can see your ports to perform a sync flood attack.

I believe the sync flood attack setting will set your port to closed versus stealth as evidenced by the GRC Shields Up test. You can get a send opinion port scan on the PCFlack web site: http://pcflank.com/.

I would just use the slealth setting on your router firewall. If it has a separate DOS(denial of service) setting, I would also set that on. Leave the sync flood setting off which I assume is its default setting?

3. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

Defaults are nat firewall + spi firewall.
    And advanced options it has dos and port scanning protection which are:
    syn atack,fin/urg/psh atack,ping atack,xmas tree atack,tcp reset atack,null scan atack,ping of death atack,syn/rst syn/fin atack.

i checked my firewall with pcflank with all of them and i have closed ports then i
    enabled all of them except the syn atack and all my port are stealth.
    -http://i47.tinypic.com/fa0rk9.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.