Hardware firewall also needed?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Acadia, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Keeping in mind that I know absolutely nothing about HARDWARE firewalls, I have the following two questions:

Question no.1: I'm still on old-fashioned dial-up modem and I have always used a software firewall. Even though I have no plans to jump to broadband, seeing how Identity Theft and other forms of hacking is growing by leaps and bounds, does anyone feel it necessary to add the extra security of a hardware firewall? I would have added one long ago but I have an old Win98 system and it is always an adventure trying to keep my System Resources up with all the software I have running at any given moment, at least half of them being security software. Hardware firewalls still have software that needs to be installed, is that correct? If adding a hardware firewall, would I need to install any kind of a "card" into the box? (Like I said, I know nothing about these things). Would having a hardware firewall slow down my already slow Internet connect any appreciable amount?

Question no.2: If the consensus is "Yes, you should install a hardware firewall", what brand do you folks recommend. This would just be for a single computer.

Thank you all very much,
    Acadia

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I would make sure you have a good software firewall in place, and rest as easy as you can. ;)

No. Most of them designed for the SOHO environment don't have anything to install. Everything is managed from a browser. Makes life a lot easier! :)

The problem you will run into is that available router/firewalls for the home market don't have a port for a modem line, (RJ-11 port vs. RJ-45) so you're probably spinning your wheels a little bit even considering it--which makes the question a bit moot at this point! ;)

I would make sure your software firewall and security software are as tight as you can make them, and surf away! ;)

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks Jim, like I said, I know nothing about these things so you've answered my question for me: I evidently can't even use one anyway. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.