Hardware-based rootkit detection proven unreliable

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by malformed, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malformed

malformed Former Poster

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=109

2. controler

controler Guest

I didn't know Jamie Butler had worked for the NSA.

Back in the early 80's they use to teach computer techs how to troubleshoot
    motherboards down to the component level. I guess people's time was not worth as much then LOL
    Their just isn't any point in doing that when a motherboard is not that expensive now days. This has gone the same way as the VCR. It became easier to buy a new VCR then to get your old one fixed. It hasn't quit got to that stage yet with desktops or laptops but is getting close. Unless you sit at a bench and troubleshoot a few kinds of motherboards, it is just not worth a technician's time. Direct access to the buss would be nice I guess with a seperate peice of hardware inbetween the CPU. I don't even think it would be that less cost effective for the mobo manufactures to implement it, however a good technician could still do it if they didn't have to make the interface device themselves and could just buy aftermarket parts just like you can a car.
    Oh oh I can see a vision of people creating these interface parts. You would still have to physicaly go in a cut traces unless your chips are socketed LOL

con

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

NEWS Rootkits evade hardware detection

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/03/05/HNrootkitevade_1.html

while most play cat and mouse with rootkits in software there are a number of hardware based products sold to enterprise, however its been releaved at Black Hat these too are able to be hoodwinked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.