Hardening Windows

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Brandonn2010, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Hello. I was wondering if there is some info any of you have on hardening XP, Vista, and Windows 7. It must be simple enough though that I can put it in bullet-points, as I intend to create a section for it on my website to help average users out. Thank you if this is possible.

2. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Hi Brandon,

Here's a list of useful security resources: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/useful-security-resources/

Look under Security Guides and Handbooks. That should help you get started.

Also, I like your website. It's informative. However, I suggest that you change your background. White text on a black background is hard on the eyes. ;)

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi Brandon, I like your site as well but attend to agree with brian with white contrast on black is rough on the eyeballs.

4. Brandonn2010

@Brian. Dang, that site kind of renders mine uselss.

Also, I changed my site to black on white. I had been wondering which was easier on the eyes, I just like black.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Looks great Brandon,I think you did a good job.IMO it's a nice clean looking site.:thumb:

6. Brandonn2010

Thank you. I just need a more original name lol. And I need to figure how to make the buttons have a gradient in IE (darned Microsoft needs to follow standards!)

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

This could be at least an arbritary advise on your site.

Attached Files:

8. "Foreign" depends on where you're located. And IIRC most infected domains are hosted in the US, or were last I checked.

9. Brandonn2010

I didn't consider the foreign site thing since the only people that probably view this are friends and family in the US, and from looking at malware domains, it appears a good deal are Russian or Chinese sites, but I will remove that bit regardless.

Also, if you are viewing my site in IE, the buttons look like crap, but they are nice in FF and Chrome. Hopefully IE10 will support CSS3 gradients.

Lastly, should I change the button font to match my banner's font "ethnocentric"?

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Not really. Most have .cn or .ru. Not that it should matter - often times you're linked directly to the IP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.