Harddisk problem?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello folks,

I'm trying to install Windows Vista in a computer I got from a family member. I put the Windows Vista DVD, and then the installation took me like 9 hours to finish, only to appear an error (I forgot which).

I tried with an external DVD drive, and the same happens. I, of course, didn't wait 9 hours, not even 1!!

Windows XP installs just fine.

At the manufacturer web site of the motherboard (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...egoryID=1&DetailName=Driver&MenuID=1&LanID=0), I see that there are drivers for Windows Vista, and Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor said I can run Windows Vista.

I'm wondering if, despite Windows XP installation went fine, if it could be a problem with the hard disk? Like bad sectors? Or, if there were any bad sectors, Windows XP would also fail to install?

All the hardware, to the exception of DVD drive and hard disk are on-board.

Thank you

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Flash to latest bios, i had the same issue with a ECS board.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

http://www.hdtune.com/

4. m00nbl00d

I'm at the manufacturer web site, at the ECS RS400-A motherboard page, and I see there are two BIOS flash updates.

I booted my system, but when it starts I see no info related to what BIOS version this motherboard is running.

I installed Everest Ultimate trial version, and according to it, this is what I can find related to the BIOS:

BIOS type: Award (10/25/05)

Then, more to the bottom I found this:

BIOS version - DMI: 6.00PG

(I translated it from my language to English, but I guess it is pretty much it.)

So, at the manufacturer web site, there are versions, with the following dates:

BIOS name: BIOS for RS400-A(PCB:1.0)
    Version: 1.1
    Release Date: 2005/12/02

Then, I got another:

BIOS Name: BIOS for RS400-A(PCB:1.0)
    Version: 1.0F
    Release Date: 2005/10/29

Both came out, according to the date, after the version in this motherboard, since Everest Ultimate Edition says that the BIOS type is an Award, with this date (10/25/05), is that correct?

Or the date Everest provided has nothing to do with the BIOS version this motherboard has?

Thanks

5. m00nbl00d

I'll check it out.

Thanks

Edit: I installed, and Health status is OK and, for now, I performed a quick Error scan, and it was fine. Now I'm performing a normal scan. But, my guess is will be OK.

Most likely it requires a BIOS update.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Pop open the case. Many mobo manufacturers will put a sticker on the board or the chip containing the BIOS may be labeled with the rev. number.

7. m00nbl00d

Yes, there is. It's rev. 1.0.

Is that the version of the motherboard BIOS? If so, which one would I need to download?

BIOS name: BIOS for RS400-A(PCB:1.0)
    Version: 1.1

or

BIOS Name: BIOS for RS400-A(PCB:1.0)
    Version: 1.0F

?

Thanks

Edit: The rev. number is not on the BIOS chip, but on the motherboard, after the motherboard model. Like this: RS400-A REV: 1.0

8. ThunderZ

Hard to say if that is a board rev. or the BIOS rev. I believe Phoenix and Award merged into one company a while back.

The BIOS chip should be marked with either Phoenix or Award and possibly a rev. number.

How about a link to the board page from the OEM site.

9. m00nbl00d

Well, I started Windows System Information, and it also says that the BIOS version is 6.00 PG, and date is also 2005-10-25.

The only link I have for the motherboard, is for the manufacturer of the motherboard. This desktop is not a from any brand. Its just a case with some motherboard, hardisk, dvd drive, and RAM memory. So, I'm pretty stuck with the motherboard's manufacturer site.

And, yes the BIOS chip is marked with PhoenixBios. No rev. number. Only the following:

D688 BIOS
    Some random text, that I can really read, but there's no rev. number.
    Then, some serial number 277707016.

Nothing else.

I guess I'll be sending an e-mail to the manufacturer and see if they can help me out, somehow. Better than anyone else, they should know. lol

10. ThunderZ

11. ThunderZ

This should help you identify it.

12. ThunderZ

The latest BIOS offered is dated 2005/10/29. 4 days difference from the date you have listed. (perhaps a type-o)

Do not see any reference in the change list that leads me to believe that a BIOS flash would solve the problem.

13. m00nbl00d

Yes, that is the board. I had provided the link in my first post. ;)

14. m00nbl00d

Yes, I had checked that. Thanks

15. m00nbl00d

Anyway, I've already sent a support request to the manufacturer, and also asked if the board can really run Windows.

I'll wait and see what they have to say.

16. ThunderZ

:blink: Not sure how I missed that.

Too many hours, not enough sleep. o_O

17. m00nbl00d

Tell me about it... Sometimes, I even forget I still haven't had my lunch. lol

Anyway, I thought of something... I will try to perform an upgrade from XP to Vista, rather than a clean install. I noticed at the Devices Manager that some components have a yellow exclamation mark. I'll update Windows XP SP2 to SP3, then will insert my USB drive and copy the contents of Vista to the second partition, and perform an upgrade from there.

During the upgrade there's the option to be connected to the Internet to get the latest and need updates to make a fine upgrade. Maybe that will do it. No idea.

Thank you all for the help you provided so far.

18. ThunderZ

From what I read about your board it seems the only thing not Vista supported is the on board video. Should not be an issue if you are using an add on card.

You may want to grab any drivers in advance of the upgrade. If your NIC does not have native Vista support then you will need a second PC with internet access to get them.

19. m00nbl00d

No, the only drivers I can't find at the motherboard product page are the drivers for the on-board sound card. But, that would be something that while upgrading to Vista, the installation would solve it?

Yes, I'm already getting the Windows Vista drivers for the board.

20. ThunderZ

Can not say for sure. Vista may or may not contain the drivers for it. They may be available on the RealTek site. Or the XP drivers may work.

21. m00nbl00d

I went ahead with the upgrade, and as of now is already at the second step of the upgrade. Is happening fast. Hopefully, it will install just fine! I truly hope so!

I'll tell some news later. ;)

22. m00nbl00d

Well, after quite a few hours of waiting, a BSOD appeared. I installed Windows XP.

Today, I got a message from the motherboard manufacturer saying that it doesn't support Windows Vista. Now, why would they provide drivers for Vista, if it doesn't? lol

23. ThunderZ

That is a good question.

Have only installed Vista once, on a spare hdd that I swap in and out of my test tower as need`d. But I thought I remembered Vista doing a pre-install hardware check. Maybe that was Win7. :rolleyes:

24. m00nbl00d

The funny thing is that, this system I'm right now, is a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, and it has like 6/7 years old.

The motherboard of the desktop was manufactured in 2005. Makes me wonder, what the heck o_O

25. m00nbl00d

OK. The support folks are really stupid, aren't they?

This is the reply I got from them, after asking why making drivers available for Windows Vista, if not compatible with the motherboard.

This is what I got:

Really nice! They "think". They're not sure! lol

Anyway, Windows XP is installed already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.