HARD question.Safeguard Easy.Lilo.Grub.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by matx, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matx

matx Registered Member

Hello. i have very difficult question.
    I have installed safeguard easy (utimaco)4.20.
    and i have installed Linux mandriva 2005 too.
    on another partition reiser fs. and lilo on this partition, not on mbr of main hda.
    Ok so my question is now : Can i make to boot Linux BEFORE safeguard pba show ? can i made something like : computer start, lilo is showing and ask me to run linux or windows than if i choose linux, linux is running but i f i choose windows, pba of safeguard is showing and asking for password and if good windows is starting.
    All i mean to do is to make lilo start before safeguard pba.
    or grub. or any other boot manager.
    I tried it hard for couple of days.
    i Make it on vmware. i used smart boot manager. this is great program, and it WORKS !!!!! but only on vmware. smart boot manager never want to works on my real system. possibly it is not compatibility with my motherboard or bios (ecs k7vza) but on vmware it works so i now that this is possible to do, if i want to start linux i choose linux from smart boot manager menu, and if i want to run windows i choose option : previous mbr. and it works.only on vmware.

Next i installed GRUB4DOS. another great program.
    On vmware eberything was ok. i have menu with mandrive (root(hd0,2) chainloader+1) and for windows i made backup of original mbr using partcopy.exe to file backup.img and run windows with sgeasy with command chainloader --load-length=512 (hd0,3)/backup.img boot.
    and everything was ok. pba showing, windows normally starting. but if i did it on real system, not on vmware, and choose this option, pba shows, ask for password, white bar from windows ok (ntldr i think) then was showingg windows xp logo (color on black screen with ble bar moving from let to right) and then BSOD !!!!! and info to check my harddrives !!!! why this works on vmware, with full encrypted harddrives and not want to work on real machine ?

Last option i think is to use lilo and additional options like image or loader, but i dont know how to load backup.img (backup of mbr) to lilo which will map it as it would be my originall hard drive and boot windows.
    All i want to do is to boot linux befor Safeguard PBA !!!!!
    please help me !!!!!!!

2. matx

matx Registered Member

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I would like to try to help, but first What is safeguard?
    That page you linked to does not load.

Now, in my experience, mixing boot loaders of different kinds is a tricky business. For example, Acronis True Image, which has its own loader that can replace / control MBR, does not agree well with GRUB or LILO.

If you could post in little more detail, I'd appreciate it.

You might try Super Grub Disk, to see if it helps tweak things.
    http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Mrk

4. matx

matx Registered Member

Safeguard easy - whole disk encryption software with own master boot record, pba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.