Hard Drive Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dashriprock, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dashriprock

dashriprock Registered Member

UPDATE.................

I installed the USB2.0 card and my computer STILL crashes when I plug in my Sandisk flash drive. o_O

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Okay let's get back to basics, dashriprock ......

Clean out the following folders: Cookies, Temp, Temporary Internet Files
    Also, if you haven't done this, run a couple of anti-spyware programs AND an anti-virus program.

After this try that usb flash drive again.

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Looks like you have multiple troubles dashriprock.
    Finding out if you've got malware wouldn't hurt.

Also, check to see if your USB drive and IPOD works properly on another computer. Use the same cables so you can isolate the problem to your computer, the devices, or the cables.

The Large Disk Enabler is a software called a Drive Overlay.
    Maxtor used to call it MaxBlast.
    While it may be tempting to just use it and the newer versions may be better, you are just adding another complicating factor.
    Drive Overlays have caused me problems in the past.
    Any programs that work with the drive at a lower level (TI, Partition Magic, Go Back, defrag) may have issues with it.
    Maybe you will have no problems using it, but I would just say no to drive overlays.
    If you really want to use the drive overlay, you should make sure that TI and other drive programs work with it.

Try to resolve one problem at a time.

4. dashriprock

UPDATE.....

I ran two different spyware programs and a anti-virus program and cleaned out my system. I have made some progress.

As long as I have flash drive and scanner plugged in BEFORE I boot the computer everything works fine. If I plug these in AFTER the computer is up and running, the computer immediately crashes and reboots. Almost reminds me of a power surge of some sort.

HELP :doubt:

5. Devinco

Troubleshooting USB issues can be difficult and require trial and error to resolve.
    At this point, you will be better off posting your questions at USB specific forums like here or here.
    You could also try the product specific forums and tech support for your scanner and UFD (USB Flash Drive).
    Be sure to post ALL the relevant technical details so it will be easier to help you troubleshoot and the tech answering won't have to guess what you have.
    However, here are some questions, ideas, and info that may help.

*Since the problem was occuring before and after putting in the USB2 card, I would remove the card and try to resolve the underlying USB problem first.
    Check Device Manager for any devices with Yellow exclamation marks or red x's before and after you remove the USB card.

*Your computer comes with two usb ports, from the age of the computer, I would guess they are USB 1.1 ports not USB 2. USB 2 devices should work on a USB 1 computer just at the slower speed.

*What exactly are you connecting to those two ports and how are they being connected? Are your keyboard and mouse USB or PS/2(round plugs)?
    If they are USB, that means your two ports would be used up leaving no room for the UFD, IPOD, scanner, and whatever else you are plugging in.
    Are you using a USB hub? Is the hub unpowered?
    USB has a 500mA maximum and with an unpowered hub and all those devices, you may be exceeding that. A powered USB hub has a separate power connection and does not rely on the computer to supply power through USB.
    There is relevant info here: Powered USB? read the comments too, in particular the one about the IPOD.
    So a powered hub may be needed.

*When the computer crashes and reboots, did you plug in just one device or both? Did windows recognize the device was plugged in (with the usual "dunk-dunk" sound) before the crash?
    Did it just crash reboot by itself after plugging in the device, or did the mouse (and keyboard) freeze and you pressed the reset button?

*Getting the latest drivers for all the devices would be a good idea too.
    Sometimes USB devices and drivers don't work well with each other.

*Keep a log book (or paper) of your tests and the results so you can easily keep track of what you tried. This will help to narrow it down as long as you try one thing at a time, test it, and note the results.
    Try to create a repeatable problem that can be used as your test.

I don't have a "magic bullet" for your problem, but hopefully this gets you closer to a solution.

6. dashriprock

HELP o_O

I just installed my new HighPoint Rocket133SB ATA133 Controller.....

1. Installed card everything is cool, computer sees it and no conflicts that I can see.

2. I set the BIOS so that the Rocket is first in boot order.

3. Transfered the IDE cable from the Motherboard to the Rocket.

4. Booted system, I see the Windows XP logo, there is a flash of a blue screen, then the system crashes and tries to reboot.

What the #%#@ !!! :mad:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

7. dashriprock

Hello All............

Here is a update :)

Here is what I have done.

1). I left my old hard drive connected to the Motherboard.

2). I installed the new 200Gb hard drive to the ATA133 controller on a separate cable. It is set up as "Slave"

3). I set the boot order Old Hard drive first and ATA133 controller second.

4).I was able to boot the computer without it crashing. Device Manager shows both hard drives as being present.

5). I opened up True Image and clicked on clone function. It shows my old 40GB hard drive as source and the 200GB hard drive as destination. It shows both drives as being "C" drives.

Is this too good to be true? Am I about to screw something up with both hard drives being on separate cables?

8. dashriprock

GOOD NEWS........... GOOD NEWS........... GOOD NEWS .............

I finally got everything to work properly. My 200GB Hard Drive is up and running. Cloning went off without a hitch. True Image is truly a great program.
    I will be buying a powered USB hub to correct my crashing problem.

To Devinco and Chutsman, thank you so much for your advice.:thumb: I have learned a lot in the past week.

Dash:)

9. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Glad to hear that ... so what about the fact that BOTH drive were showing up as C in the cloning ... did you just accept it and continue the cloning?

You should really get to the root cause of the crash that is being cause by simply plugging in a usb flash drive.

In addition to a spyware cleaner and Antivirus scan, you should also run a Registry cleaner. A good free one is CCleaner. In fact you should scan regularly (once a week) for spyware, viruses and redundant entries in the Registry.

10. dashriprock

I decided to just use the 200GB hard drive. Both hard drives did show up as "C" drives during cloning. I had read that Windows actually determines the drive designation so I thought I would give it a try. I cloned the drive, removed the old 40Gb drive, set the new drive to "Master" and it booted up the first time. The new drive running through the ATA133 controller. For some reason when both drives were connected to the same cable, the computer would crash and reboot. I cloned the drive with the old drive connected to the motherboard and the new drive connected to the controller.

I will take your advice about the registry cleaner. Anything that helps is welcomed.

11. Devinco

Dash,

Congrats.
    Don't know why it crashed the first time on boot up, but here are some other related ideas.

This is not correct. When you have one drive on a cable, the drive should be Master. Please read this. Pay particular attention to the Connector Assignments and Color Coding section, and why the drive placement on the cable is important.
    Perhaps the reason it cloned correctly was the Highpoint was able to compensate for the incorrect assignment/placement.

The new drive is bigger and faster and should be set to master on the black end connector of the ATA133 controller now that it is cloned.
    Both drives are Maxtors, so I don't see why they won't play nice together.
    I would try to set the 40GB to slave and connect it to the middle Gray connector on the cable to the ATA133 controller to test.

Perfomance wise, having each drive set to master (on the end black connector) on a different cable (channel) is better. Provided there are no side effects like 2 C: drives.

If you open My Computer, does it show 2 C: drives? It shouldn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.