Hard drive recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sethm1, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

XP Home SP3 (was with a 80 GB HD)
    True Image Home - 2008 version.

Current Hard drive crashed (though wonder if SpinRite would have come in handy) - Any ways, I now have a new 160 HD and loaded with all the M/S updates.

I want to bring back my PC to where it was before the crash but now sure which Acronis back up file to use as the Recovery. I have the Acronis back up files on an external HD.
    I have I think 5 back up files: My Computer (Disk & Partitions); My Computer ( System State); E-Mail; Application Settings (IE7, Word 2007, Nero & Registry); and My Data (but I think its more of a back up of from a 2nd external HD I have).

I am thinking I first back up using My Computer (Disk & partions) followed by the others, except for the My Data back up file.

Am I correct? And will doing so bring me back to the pre-crash?

Thanks!

2. Wandering2

Wandering2 Registered Member

Use the disk and partitions you have, and forget the rest. They are included in the disk and partitions. You really don't need to back them up separately unless you do it more often. then, if they are later than the disk and partiitons, you could restore them. If they are all the same date there is no point to the others, just do disk and partitions.

Good luck.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

If your backup was a disk backup which included all partitons (both hidden & diagnostic) on your system disk, you can use my guide listed on line 3 of my signature to put your system back the same way it was at the time of your image backup.

4. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

Wandering2 - May have a slight problem - My original drive was on "C" drive. Now my new HD is "H" drive.

Also by using the Disk/Partition will that also move over all the Registry entries?
    My concern is that if there was a hidden problem on the orig drive, will then get moved to the new drive.

GroverH - forgive me, where exactly is " my guide listed on line 3 of my signature " ?

thanks both of you

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Go to any message by Glover and look at the signature down at the bottom of the post and you'll see links to stuff that would help you use the program. He pointed out a particular one that would be particularly helpful in your case.

6. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

Is that the Beginner's Guides for TrueImage Home link ?
    then L3: Online FAQ's - Acronis True Image 10.0 Home ? - that took me to Acronis' web site and the Features page.

A few issues that not even sure if covered in the Grover link:
    1) My old HD was a "C" drive. New one is an "H" Drive- will that be a concern ?
    2) I am guessing that using the Disk & Partition, the Registry will also carried over?
    My concern, though the Back up was weeks ago, that by doing the Recovery I could bring to the new HD hidden problems (if any) from the old HD.

Thx

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sethm1,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

If the system doesn't bother you, you can leave everything as is. Also you can re-assign the drive letters, the entire procedure is described here

If you recover the partition (or entire hard drive) the Registry will be also transferred to the new hard drive, the program will create an exact copy of the partition or the hard drive with all hidden problems (if there are any).

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

8. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

After installing the new hard drive, I decided that since my PC had been used for many years and Acronis I just bought this year, that I re-install every thing.
    I did a Full back up with just the basics (M/S Word, Eset/Nod 32, HP printer and some other software and of course Acronis).

Then I spent the next day installing wireless card software, FireFox and some others. Then another Full back up.

Then updated from SP 2 to SP3 and all the windows updates, my e-mails, and some other software. then another Full acronis back up.

By the way the one Acronis 'file' I tried to restore to my new drive was me & my wife's e-mails. But for some reason all of my sub folders showed up in both of our accounts. We use Outlook Express. Luckily I had a backup of my e-mail and folders from another 3rd party program.
    SO - any idea why ACronis did not play nice with my e-mail accounts?

I chose doing full back ups at various stages of installing my software, rather than incremintals. Hope I did not mess anything up for if or when I go thru this again.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sethm1,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Before restoring Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express mail messages, accounts, contacts, settings, etc. from My E-mail backup on a new computer with a newly installed Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, you should launch Outlook or Outlook Express at least once. If the programs are launched for the first time after restoring the E-mail information, they may malfunction.

Also, you should close these applications before restoring your E-mail backup.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.