Hard Disk Mgr 12 Disk Map diff between Win7 backup and WinPE restore enviroments

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by tend2it, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tend2it

tend2it Registered Member

I have a problem related to creating GPT Disk Partition backups using Hard Disk Manager 12 (HDM12) and using the custom Boot Recovery Environment (BRE) created using the Boot Media Builder. The Disk map appears to be different.

I have two GPT Hard Disks: one 2TB and one 3TB. The main operating system is on the 2TB. When HDM12 is used to create backups of the System/MainOS partitions, they are associated to the Basic GPT Hard Disk 1 (Seagate 2TB). I back up them up the Basic GPT Hard Disk 0 (3TB Hitachi). When I reboot into the BRE, the disk map (in advanced view) is swapped. Basic GPT Hard Disk 0 = 2TB Seagate and Hard Disk 1 = 3 TB Hitachi.

When I customized the WinPE boot image using WinPE Boot Media Builder, I did include the specific drivers for the Razer mouse/keyboard products and the motherboard Intel SATA controller (Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA/AHCI Controller). It appears that Win7 and WinPE HDD assignments are different. This difference causes a problem for merged archives since the HDM12 restore feature defaults to the original Hard Disk location and doesn't give an option like it does if you select individual components of the archive (it allows you to select a restore location). This can cause all sorts of problems with the restore if it isn't caught in time as the contents of Hard Disk 1 Hitachi can be overwritten thinking it was the Seagate destination.

Hard Disk Manager 12 (Win7) Disk Map (used to create the partition backups)
    http://i.imgur.com/udSlzcD.jpg

Boot Recovery Environment (WinPE) Disk Map (used to restore the partion backups)
    http://i.imgur.com/3M6BSEj.jpg

Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA/AHCI Controller
    http://i.imgur.com/HSfrfsw.jpg

Please advise as to how to fix this issue.
    Thanks
    --Eric--

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

There are differences between the disk maps presented by Windows and by WinPE. This is the normal situation, in my experience.The disk numbering can be different, also the letters assigned to the partitions.

What happens if you do both operations (create the image, restore it) from the WinPE?

3. tend2it

Thanks for the reply ... good idea ! ... :D ... I will try it tonight.

4. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

teh capacity of your HDD, especially the hitachi, does not look right. Do you have 2nd partition on your hitachi? Try to inject intel rapid storage driver into your winpe, then try.

5. tend2it

GPT allows you to partition more than 4 partitions ... I double checked the contents and it is correct ...

UPDATE RobinA's suggestion of creating the partition backup from the WinPE Boot Manager worked !!! ... the mapping for the HDDs is consistent and correct and the restore test worked fine. Thank you ... that was the one thing I didn't try.
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.