Hard Disk Initialization Error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alsteele, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alsteele

alsteele Registered Member

[/B
    I may not have chosen the right wording for my previous message so here goes:
    I am using Acronis True Image 7.0 in a Windows 98SE computer. Today for the first time in a long time I attempted to boot up using the 6 floppies that I had previously created with Media Builder. When I got to the 3rd floppy, I received the error message, "Read error, press any key to reboot." I subsequently created the floppies twice more using Media Builder, and when I attempted to boot up the same problem occured whe I got to the 3rd floppy. Unless I can solve the problem, Acronis is now useless. Please help.

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

This is a silly question - but have you tried a different lot of floppies?

3. alsteele

Yes I tried different lots with the same result. During one try the error came in the 4th floppy rather than the 3rd, but in each case the error message was the same.

4. tachyon42

So if you discard the individual floppies that don't work (i.e.the 4th floppy from one set, 3rd from other set, etc) have you enough floppies left to try creation again?
    Have you tried cleaning the floppy disk drive?
    I'm guessing that the problem is with the floppies or the drive rather than anything to do with TI.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello alsteele,

You can see my answer here.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. alsteele

Re: Hard Disk Initialization Error

tachyon42
    Well you hit the nail on the head! The first several sets of floppies that I used were not brand new. They had previous data on them which I deleted before attepting to create boot up discs. After your last message I used some brand new floppies and lo and behold they worked!
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

By the way, following the suggestion of Irina Shirokova I impulsively bought (instead of downloading the free version) of T.I. 9.0. After reading all the comments about it in the forum, I am hesitant to install it since T.I. 7.0 works. I respect your opinion so what do you think?

7. tachyon42

If you read through the threads in this forum concerning TI9 you will see that the current build 2289 still has a fair few problems although it does seem to work well for some users. If version 9 has some features you think would be useful then you might consider trying it. However, I'd suggest you use the previous version that you already have to create an image so that you can restore your system if TI9 causes you grief. Just be sure that the image verifies OK and that you can explore the image. Alternatively, if you have a spare disk you might want to clone your live disk - then remove the live disk from your system and make sure you can boot and use the cloned disk OK. If the image or clone checks out OK then you can be reasonably confident you should be able to restore if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.