Halo ports work, but..

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by dusk, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dusk

dusk Guest

I'm trying to get this working for my little brother and I'm about to pull my hair out..

I opened up the required UDP ports 2302 - 2303 in LNS and it lets me play the game, but it completely lags the game compared to without the firewall.

The servers list is slowed from very fast to a crawl, and many servers are missing from the list that are there without the firewall.

Upon checking my firewall logs, when I'm fetching the Halo servers there are dozens of requests from ports way out of the specififed range-- most starting with 23xx but some aren't even in that.

I shut off the firewall, all those servers are listed again within seconds from all those random ports. How can I keep Halo open and still use my LNSl without this happening?

btw, i used this same template (below) for setting this up, and just adjusted the Title and port #'s in the range of:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=81044

2. dusk

dusk Guest

actually the games he can get into don't lag

(sorry, I'll register when I get home)

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Perhaps you just have to extend a bit the range of ports ?

Frederic

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

That sounds like the case to me as well.

See if there is an FAQ page for Halo, Im sure there is. ;)

For example any Steam related games (Valve Software) need the following open in order to play online.

UDP 1200
    UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
    TCP 27020 to 27039 inclusive

So perhaps you just need to find the correct parameters to allow you to play.

HTH,

Jag

5. dusk

dusk Registered Member

'Course there's a FAQ for halo :) that's where I got the original 2302-2303 from. After digging around elsewhere we kept coming up with the same numbers

one of the game's FAQ regarding ports:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829473

So we emailed MS tech support which was amazingly free, and I was told I needed to open up direct x ports for these types of games as well. I really don't understand why this wasn't included in the games' FAQs but oh well. "These are the ports you need to open to play halo..but not quite!" :p

the directx ports info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240429

LNS still confuses me, so I copied the game rule I had above a few times and just added these DX ports in there:

Initial UDP Connection 6073 Outbound 6073 Inbound
    Subsequent UDP Inbound 2302-2400 2302-2400
    Subsequent UDP Outbound 2302-2400 2302-2400

It may have sped up a bit, but still does what it was doing overall. It's tolerable..but not fixed. I think it's that I just don't know Look n Stop rule creating well enough, since I'm just cloning other rules (like the one I linked in post #1) that happened to work and just changing the port numbers and names (or an inbound to outbound).

Thank you for your replies everyone... I think the above DX issue is similar to what Jaguar was talking about, so I'll re read your post and re-read the rule creation info on the board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.