Had to remove all traces of v4.x and revert back to 3.x

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ceastman, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceastman

ceastman Registered Member

Installed the new and 'improved' 4.x NOD32 Anti-virus client on three machines yesterday. All three machines experienced problems with explorer.exe hanging.
    Explorer.exe not responding and also very slow to respond. Manually removed all traces of 4.x because I don't have the time to troubleshoot this issue, re-installed 3.0.684 and everything is back to normal. Running Windows XP SP3, fully patched on all three machines.

Deleted the install file for 4.x and will hold off for now. I'm getting the feeling this release was rushed, no?

2. BeanCounter

BeanCounter Registered Member

Curious. I have installed version 4 on one of my machines, running XP SP3, and it has been running OK now for a few days. When I installed version 4 I didn't bother with a clean install and just installed it over the top of version 3.

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

I pushed out V4 over the top of V3 on half a dozen client machines. Most went okay, but one really screwed up - two entries in add/remove programs, not getting updates etc.

I have to uninstall, then boot to safe mode and delete the program folders, beofre I was then able to reinstall.

Jim

4. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Thanks for the updates.. I have really been staying on top of my 4.0 migration right now.. I REALLY want to know the status of updates on my client machines so I am pushing forward.. So far I just push installs over the top of V3 from ERA Console. I'd say I got around 15% of my clients now running Version 4.0, and I have been testing 4.0 on ONE domain controller which is really just a Global Catalog in a site for redundancy. No issues yet.

5. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

Clean install v4.x on XPWME about 5 days ago. No problems so far! Having a log file looked into however.

6. browned

browned Registered Member

We have the same issue, we are in the middle of testing the problem but it is affecting all 80 of our clients running Windows XP SP3.

1. General random slowness (freezing) browsing network file systems.
    2. Slow down on Internet access and file downloads. (we use a proxy but get the same result if we bypass the proxy). Internet connection is Business SDSL.
    3. Applications slow(freeze) for random periods doing day to day things, ticking/unticking boxes, file open/save (as) when files are on network drives.

So far we have turned off the "File Creation" option on the file servers, we sat with clients having issues and tested each change we made. Disabling realtime on the file servers had the best results...but it is not an option. If this continues though we will be removing version 4 and going back to version 3.

File servers are 2K3 R2 x64.
    Proxy server is 2k3 R2 x64 running Webmarshal.
    Most affected PC's are XP SP3 x86.
    Some PC's are Vista but no complaints from those users yet.

cheers
    db

7. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Do you know for sure it is NOD32 causing these issues? It is hogging up CPU resources?

8. browned

Well testing so far points to it......

1. Nod V4 is the only new software installed on machines in the last month.
    2. Uninstalling Nod V4 resolves the problem on PC's. This def works.
    3. We think at the moment that disabling "file creation" scanning on servers and now PC's also fixes the problem. But if we still have issues we will uninstall Nod to confirm.

No Nod is not using a worrying amount of CPU resources. File system activity is also normal, even when a program freezes.

cheers
    db

9. bradtech

bradtech Guest

See I had some issues that I was pointing towards NOD32 causing.. Internet Explorer was crashing, and the only thing that had changed was NOD32. I ended up getting a full kernel and memory dump.. It pointed to the Novell Client, and then TCPIP.sys.. I was very positive it was NOD32 then found out other wise and resolved the issue. Your issue may very well be though..

10. bodean

bodean Registered Member

It amazes me all these issues with V4, and the main resolution is "uninstall/reinstall" that ESET tells us to do, and it doesn't fix the problem.

Maybe they need to admit there are problems, and issues a fix/patch.

Oy VEY!

11. browned

How about this then....

Autocad freezing and being unresponsive changing views/tabs, printing, saving, opening files on network shares. We disabled all Nod32 realtime scanning, email scanning. No change. Hmmm very odd.

Next step we uninstalled Nod32 V4 on the Windows XP SP3 client and hey presto no problems with autocad, network shares, saving or opening files.

Now to automate uninstalling Nod32 V4 and bypassing the password option we set and then reinstalling Nod32 v3.

db

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.