Hacking experience

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by olds, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I actually kind of agree with this, and I suspect many people do too, but it's just not for the lack of a better word "politically correct" to state this. Because it might encourage people who are not ready (and how would you measure this?) follow suite.

I find that most of the stuff that my less tech savy friends worry about (eg the latest worm that captures the attention of the mass media) , don't really borther me. I mean the techniques used are somewhat interesting (well not really lately) , but to be honest they don't really have a realstic chance of infecting me even without a AV running resident, because I'm very careful with attachments running a secure email client, and 99.999% of time, just eyeballing the email tells me all I need to know.

Also I'm somewhat doubtful of the ability of signature based scanners and even those with heuristics to detect modified custom trojans used if you are targetted by a real hacker. So it's hard to justify using them for that purpose.

Push comes to shove, I think of the "Dream stepup" apps enouraged on Wilders , perhaps Process Guard supported by maybe SSM might be one of the few that is worth running in memory , on top of a firewall (soft and hard) of course.

But of course, these days computer processing power is cheap, so I don't see any reason not to run everything on my computer.

2. bobbyR

bobbyR Guest

http://cigars.bravepages.com/antispy.htm

the reason I don't have my own Domain name as that would make me subject to DOS attacks.

It takes about 4 hours to set a GOOD dos attack and I can change my URL in 5 min, cause its not registered.
    Think it thru.

Its a defense.
    Brent Quote:
    "Originally Posted by olds
    This looks good:

http://cigars.bravepages.com/antispy.htm

Bobby

lol I am not purchasing a product that the company can not even afford their own web hosting and domain name. "

Its not a question of cost, I get around 1,000 attacks per day as it is.
    links to the attacks are on the page...

3. Bobbyr

Bobbyr Guest

Its not the Lone Uber hacker we have to worry about.

What worries me is when Internet Orginized Crime crosses a Rootkit with a trojan to install a keyloger and reap all our passwords to banks and Pay pal.

That was what I was orginally talking about...

Oppps Hangup gang did that already with the MS server attacks.

"THEIR HEREEEEEEEEE !

Bobreny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.