Hackers Plan Satellite Network to Fight Internet Censorship

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by MrBrian, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh yes, an internet controlled by Anon and others...where do I sign up? :rolleyes:

First thing is first, this is a lot harder than just "distributed network of low-cost ground stations with some friends". They'll have to overcome quite few obstacles both technically and financially. You even have legal issues to consider, putting aside the whole country shooting them down/disabling issue..which will happen. You can also forget about the illegal communication fear, simply because a few months into it, hackers will be turning the program into cyber-weapons and doing what they always end up doing, even against their own kind.

If they actually try to go through with all this, it'll fail harder than Bitcoin.

3. x942

x942 Guest

Anon? I thought it was someone else doing this. Either way with things like Sopa and the NDAA I think this is better than nothing. At least until we (the people) Straighten things out in the US.

That said $10 says the US uses Satellite jamming techniques to block them from reaching the users. Or just shoot them down.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Anon is part of the anti-government movement, so it's inevitable they'll follow along. How it starts is not the issue, it's what hackers will turn it into that is disturbing. But, you're right, it won't be up there long enough to see that happen before any of the big nations busts it apart and there won't be a damn thing anyone can do about it. Space is not governed by any nation and it won't even be a nation sponsored project.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Googling this, I found -www.swansat.com

Wow :doubt:

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

DDG'ing further on Swansat, it's founders and the company Iostar, I soon came across kabbala, fraud against old people and more weird stuff like "The Coming Y2K Computer Crisis Will threaten Anyone Whose Faith is Not in God!".
    It seems rather unlikely this satellite network will ever materialize, to put it mildly. I'd have more faith in the "Hackerspace Global Grid" lol.

7. x942

x942 Guest

I do agree with you but at the same time I find what the US Government is doing with SOPA/PIPA/NDAA even more disturbing and I do support Anon to a degree on this. We (The people) should be protesting these laws. But I don't think this is the way to do it either. A better way of circumventing SOPA/PIPA would be to use Packet Radio (Amateur radio that is) to get online a distribute information. And we will always have this option.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, the thing is, the operations of Anon, Lulz and others are doing nothing but giving more ammunition to the government to do these things. I wish people would understand that. I work for the government, and I disagree with all of the things they are doing. But, I don't agree with the way Anon and others are handling things, and they most certainly do not speak for me as a freedom loving citizen. Wrong actions are still wrong, no matter how right the cause. Both the government and these hacker groups need to learn this.

9. x942

x942 Guest

I agree with you! Anon is going about it all wrong. I do hope someone (like the EFF) pulls some mass awareness on the NDAA/SOPA/PIPA. Anon is really the only group doing anything about this. Albeit doing it wrong. But I am really surprised no one has started protests against this.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It would need to be thrown in the face of people via much media reports on TV and radio. Even then, the American population really can surprise you at what all they'll blow off or can't be bugged enough to check into. It saddens and angers me to accept that truth, but there is plenty of evidence to support it.

On topic again though, the EFF has been doing some work, but surprisingly (or not if you realize it's about bottom dollars), some of the ones you expect to support these atrocious moves, are the ones fighting tooth and nail against it.

11. x942

x942 Guest

Yes I heard that the NSA/CIA/FBI all opposed the NDAA and I think SOPA too. I read about it on these forums if I recall correctly. Those agency are the ones you would think want it. But it probably scares them as who needs these agencies if the military can run everything?

(not trying to be political here - Please remove if this is against TOS - I don't wont this thread to be closed)

12. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

They (and their counterparts in other nations) don't want such laws, because they incite development and widespread adoption of encrypted communication technologies.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's a very small part of the picture. Yes, obviously people would come up with advanced ways to bypass these laws, and of course that would make the jobs of agents that much more difficult. However, there are more of them that simply see these laws as nonsense and sinister, like we do. Unless you've had a chance to work with and/or be around the vast majority of the folks in these agencies, it's easy to just simply lump them in with the "bad government". You have to remember, these people have families and personal lives, and idiotic and dangerous moves like this affect them too.

There's no point in lying and saying there aren't "followers", but they don't make up the biggest percentage. In reality, if you want to continue to speak of making their jobs much harder, these laws would do so long before the public started working around them. It's just more irrelevant data to sift through, collect and track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.