Guest's Sign On's??

Discussion in 'polls' started by hayc59, Sep 25, 2004.

?

Guest Sign On?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Would I continue to post if I had to login? NOPE! Would never work for a company that force me to wear a uniform. Get the point?

2. steverio

steverio Registered Member

So.... now that we have things cleared up....

I heard that over on eBay at the "Wilder's Improv" there is a "Sense of Humor" up for grabs still! Coming up next for bids is "A thing called laughter..." could be very useful on some occasions? Someone soon probably will pick these items up very cheap.

So....whose hairy chest are we going to laugh at? :D

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Until a troll problem becomes so common as to be a deterrent to participation for the rest of us, I'll say "yes".

I've seen the mods accused of abuse of their privledges a number of times, and IMO most of those accusations fall flat. I've seen many, many more instances where because of poor comprehension, poor communication skills, and a disregard for rules someone eventually feels persecuted.

I guess I'm trying to make a case for more thoughtful, rational and reasoned communication.

BTW the poll question is not very straight-forward. Unless one bothers to read the first post, it is really unclear as to what YES / NO means.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Nice post! I'm with you all the way.
    MO, I feel the post question could well have been phrased more clearly. But, it was delivered in the heat of the moment...

GF

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i havent voted, i thought it was me being abit sssssllllllllooooooowwwww. :D

and another thing that you lot might not realise about us newbies, i made this point weakly earlier; but, if you have to register at a forum you need to know how to use email. it took me a fair few goes to get a hotmail account. and, get a newbie on your computer and ask them to setup an email client, see what happens :eek:

(i was sawing up my thunderbird's profile, with Tassie's file-splitter program to put on a floppy for my reinstall, mainly because it's such a hassle to setup an email client.)

the first forum i posted at was mozilla, at the time i didnt have email :D

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have not voted, I can not decide? I for the life of me can not get CastleCops to work for me shows I am registered but nothing works. I have a PM sent. I figure I've "been to dim to work out how to," too. So there are times it would be nice to post as guest. On the other hand I believe operators have a obligation to know who is participating on their forums in some detail through registration, so that tips the scales back the otherway. It looks like unregistered regulars here are only a few. As long as they follow my signature rule that I live by, no problem here. :doubt:

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I believe I can add to that, Mercurie.

" With Malice Towards None, And Charity For All "
    Abraham Lincoln

GF

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Sure enough Global Force...sure enough. Lincoln was mighty good with words. See you around the forum friend! Take care. :D

9. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I get the point. You are better than everyone else a deserve special consideration - no, make that demands. :D - of course, if you were out of work and you and your children were starving - maybe you will humble yourself to accept a lowly position. hehe - sorry just messing.....

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Most of the time I log in under my name, only when I am in a hurry I have a quick look without logging in.
    I am pretty neutral so far if people logging in or are here as a guest. I visit one other site where most people are anonymus, there is a lot of bashing and off-topic threads. It would be an advantage for that site to allow only registered people. However here at Wilders that is most of the time not the case, everything is running smoothly with only every now and then an exception.

Gerard

11. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

While there are those that abuse/misuse the guest sign in, there are those that need help and maybe not sure if they want to register until they have had a chance to see the valuable assistance and vast knowledge available here.
    I for one noticed this immediately when I first came upon this forum. The clowns that want to abuse are going to find a way no matter what and I liked the option to post as a guest or register, I chose to register.

12. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Actually, I don't kiss ass for food. Never had to and never will. That's how I was raised.

Probably too creative to wear a uniform...no offense to members of the military, folks at UPS, police department, fire department, and those in wall street.

13. lynchknot

hehe - just as I thought. Someday you'll grow out of your false pride - maybe (relax, it's just a characteristic of youth). It comes with maturity. I don't expect you to understand yet. Good luck. ;)

14. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

nod32_9, just out of curiosity what do you do for a living??

15. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

I’d say keep the forums open to guests. Most guests are well-behaved, it’d be a shame to change the policy just because once in a while someone comes along who’s aggressive and disruptive. I don’t think rules are needed, the friendly, helpful and polite line that most members take here sets an example, and that’s enough. And everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that some members, thankfully only a few, are persistently obnoxious.

I thought the whole Stoneheart business that started this debate was badly handled. He raised a valid point, unfortunately in a highly offensive manner. The replies to his post damped down the aggression, putting forward reasoned arguments against his proposal. Cutting the thread off blew the whole issue out of proportion.

One more thing: I don’t like the flame war that’s building up here. Some find fulfilment working within an institutional framework, some don’t. Take your choice, but don’t look down on people who choose the other path. That goes for both sides.

16. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Self-employed. Per the previous post, I don't do well in a structured environment. Built everything from scratch. Yup, darn proud and grateful for what I have today. Greatness is about doing the right thing when no one else is looking. Make a mistake. Learn from it. And move on.

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nicely said, it is part of my makeup as well, if you can learn from a mistake, you have a better chance of not repeating it ;)

And besides which you never know who is watching, it’s just good to do the right thing, makes for better sleep at night, well not if you hang around Wilders for long… ;) :D

Cheers :D

18. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi nod32
    My hope for you is that you never have to kiss a** for food.I'm sure you have worked very hard for what you have and you sure have a right to be darn proud as you said,but unseen cirumstances befall us all and we never know what we'll have to do in this life.i mean no disrespect to you at all in this post-just a comment
    Rita

19. lynchknot

now that's a wise and mature statement. You are obviously beyond your years or an older, wiser person. If circumstances dictated and my children were starving (or I), I would "kiss ass" for food because they are worth more that my so called pride. True pride is in doing the best job you can, no matter what it is or for whom - uniform or not.
    The job description does not make the man, it's how well he does it and how sincere he is about it - no matter what it is.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  20. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Life is about making choices. Those who don't save for the future will face hard times down the road. That's life 101.

21. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

^^Nice one, nod32_9, made me laugh. But isn't

another empty slogan? Me, I make mistakes, pretend they didn't happen, stagnate.

22. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

The first thing I think you all need to think about is whose name is on the forum. I think Paul has the right to run it anyway he pleases. So if anyone has a problem with the way things work around here, then go start your own forum then you can run it anyway you like. Nuff said. :D

23. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I thought I knew what I was going to write, then I saw something about saving for the future and all will go right or close to it?

That's exactly what all those people who invested their savings in Enron, Tyco, and on & on thought! They tried to control their future and now they have lost, some of them everything, with no time to catch up. So, Ritaann is right, you never, never know what might befall you.

A good thing to remember is "What goes around, comes around" usually when you least expect it.

Still, I wandered around Wilders' quite a while, before signing up. I had some really bad experiences not knowing where to go, finding out they could "follow you home", changing my isp, my phone #, it made me very cautious, so I might not have found my "home" if I couldn't just roam around as a guest! Like Iceni, I was afraid of doing something really dumb, then I did alot of dumb things and now I ain't afraid. :)

I don't think things have gotten so bad we have to lock the doors, that is so far from what I think of Wilders', not sure I would or could understand it.

I still post dumb questions, post in the wrong place, don't get deleted much, but, won't say it can't ever happen, I appreciate the way this forum is run for the most part, some forums are more like Wild West Shootouts. You waste alot of time trying to get help give help or have fun, while a few people are brawling in the posters aisle!

The way things are going, everyone is going to treasure a place they can talk, laugh and learn without someone asking your "affiliation".

I prefer to think Wilders' has enough magic of its own to weather way more than this!!

My name is Marja:cool: and I approved this post.
    Hope you do too. :)

24. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Checky's statement makes a good sig, y'think? :)

25. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I don't quite like guests, i feel that too many of them would spoil the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.