Guest's Sign On's??

Discussion in 'polls' started by hayc59, Sep 25, 2004.

?

Guest Sign On?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Should Wilders Allow It? or Not?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would I be assuming wrongly if I said this poll is in reference to one of our Guest posters that seems to troll around our Forums ?

Troll poster thread---> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=264216#post264216

Unfortunately....individuals like this are found on many Forums and puts a bad taste in ones mouth for all other Guests posters.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  3. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Bubba, you would be correct!!
    There is no problem signing up and then doing your thing.
    I am a Mod on several forums and this 'guest' stuff is not allowed
    causes to much mayhem and way to much clean up

4. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

I am the "troll" Bubba is talking about.

The reason why I "trolled" is because that he infairly closed and edited my topic so that it looks like if I were a jerk and he is an honest person. I feel the need to prevent this from happening.

In particular, Bubba deleted the most important part of my second posting the remainders of which can be found here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49060

5. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

It's definitely a tough question. Although this morning incidents were unfortunate, and crossed the line; they still remain fairly uncommon @ Wilders' ... from time to time their are "guest" posters who post spam, or post warez links, but the incident that sparked this discussion is very very uncommon ... ~it's actually nice to see Members defend Our Community~ and I believe it more than sends the message that, that type of activity is unwelcome here. There are other measures to insure that an offending party does not continue to disrupt the forum, ie. blocking the offending IP address, and while this measure is extreme, it is less extreme than forcing visitors to register to post. With Wilders' being dedicated to the most part toward security and privacy, it would seem contradictory to force participants to register. Allowing someone to become comfortable with this community and post as a guest, fosters that philosophy/ideologoy. I hope Wilders' continues to be as it is, and that the actions of one sad individual do not prompt a sweeping change like this.

Steve aka dog - *puppy*

6. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Stoney, this is the key that will set you free ^ ^ ^

7. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

*puppy*
    @Dog...........point well taken
    and you are right.
    Until something like this happens and as i said before is exactly
    why is not allowed on other forums.(where i frequent) Wilders is an exception to the rule in this case.

8. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

I think there are different kinds of guest:

For example, there are completely "destructive guest" who insult people or spam the entire forum. For example, they may tell people how to create a crack for Acronis, Look and Stop, TDS etc. Such insults or spam will be removed of course. And I do not think that such guests will constantly repeat posting such insults/spam (under a different IP address) unless they really hate someone (e.g. the software developer or a specific person). This is because spamming the forum means work for the guest AND the moderators.

Moreover, there are guest who behave badly due to a specific in reason. In such case there is a good chance to de-escalate things. (Usually, if two or more parties argue noone is completely innocent.)

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

To quote dog,
    Fully agreed and backed!

You don't seem like a bad guy SH, having caught some of that thread this morning, I can see how both sides drew their conclusions. It's unfortunate that yes, how the written word was taken caused some problems.

I've read a couple of different forums where just a lot of nonsense is being tolerated, to the point it seems welcomed by
    the mods. Personally I find Wilders to be sort of "self-monitoring", lots of intelligent guests as well as members,
    with a good sense of common decency.

In addition, because this is all very emotional and heated, people on the whole don't think to clearly.
    I'm sure this can approach a peaceful resolve.

GF

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This kind of Poll actually belongs in the Poll forum section. ;)

Moving it there now.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Although I had a tendency to say yes to only those registering should be able to post, I now think it is a little more than some passing through will want to do, the innocents out there that just want some help... and help "urgently" as their world falls around them...

So, I would say, no, lets keep the place as open as possible, and just keep the eyes peeled for the trolls of this world, they are few, and fairly well far apart…

Cheers :D

12. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Blackspear, or do you mean "Yes", guest's may post?

GF :D

13. LowWaterMark

I'm withholding voting on this myself. ;)

But, I thought I'd give you some stats and other background information.

First, guest based postings account for 7% of the posts on the forum. (And that percentage does not include the posts in such threads as "two-word story" and "answer a question with a question", since those type of threads would slant the numbers too much.)

Second, many people were concerned when we closed the HijackThis section to guest postings, saying that people would be turned away and wouldn't be able to get help if we did that. What actually happened is we ended up with 3x as many member joins (daily rate) as we had been getting just prior to that, and up until we recently closed that section. It turned out that if people wanted help, they would join a forum if they had to in order to get it.

The idea that this forum would die off if it was closed to guest posts does not hold up based upon the trends above, or how other forums work. Many forums do not allow guest posts at all. Net-Integration doesn't allow any. CastleCops (ComputerCops) has just three dedicated subforums that guests can post in, all the rest require member registration. And they've been getting member enrollments at a huge rate, a few time our rate.

14. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Well, well, well, the desire for dictatorship appears to be flourishing very well..........after over a decade of being an open forum that welcomed all who came suddenly the "lock-it-up crowd is screaming for a bolt on the door.............how pitifully cowardly!!!
    If the heat gets to hot in the kitchen.....get the hell out! An leave it to those who can handle their job.......
    Clean up your own house before you try to clean up another house.....because from where I sit I only see a few power hungry wannbes that want to control this forum and dictate the terms of use.......control freaks........
    well you can lock it real tight....put the big bolts on the door......but that wont gain you respect.....you earn respect.......an the instigators of this lock-it-down movement will never be respected
    flame me...go ahead.....show how stupid you really can be....thats what this post is doing away.......so go far it. This has been a really go laugh.

TheSnowGuy/ The Snowman

An Yes.....a registered member

15. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

In principle, I feel similar to TheSnowGuy since I also hate control/rules/guidelines which can easily result in an abuse of power.

However, I have learned from the previous topic that the words used by TheSnowGuy are probably way too strong.

Btw.: I am also a registered member ;-)

16. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Stoneheart Said:

*However, I have learned from the previous topic that the words used by TheSnowGuy are probably way too strong. ***

anyone offend will be offended by the truth....not by the words.

TheSnowGuy/ The Snowman

I wont continue posting.......no need to give value to this valueless subject. Whatever happens is of no concern to me at this point.

17. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Better Yet.......feel free to delete any post made by me on this topic in this particular thread........honestly its meanless to me.......an I regret having wasted my time posting.......so go ahead..delete....

18. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

You guys say you are registered then why hide behind guest account?

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ive posted acouple of times at sub's place as a guest, and i wouldnt have done so if id have had to of registered. because of that ill be more likely to join.

sometimes, ive tried to join a forum, but been too dim to work out how to, or which security programs need to give access to the site :eek: :D so for some newbies, whom need help, it is to their advantage to be allowed to post as a guest

the only unregistered posters i can think of, that post a fair bit are TheSnowGuy/ The Snowman, Nautilus and that nod guy.

The Snowman, sometimes^^^, Nautilus always, are more aggressive then the signed in lot, but wilders is a very, very placid forum so their words may seem more hostle then they really are, so theres no problem there, for me.

that just leaves the odd nutter, and you're always going to get that, no matter what, guest or not.

so i see no reason not to let guests post
    :ninja:

20. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Snow man whats up?? hope all is well for you.
    Now to the business.
    This was not about guest sign on's or deleting post!!
    It actually was just a simple request by a fine update poster
    to 'please' follow the rules and post accordingly. that all nothing else!!
    then it was turned into a pissin match because that poster made threats and could not handle the truth.
    He now has an agenda just to troll and spam and stir the pot
    Its really to bad because he is probably very nice person when you get to know him.................

21. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi all,

Just a few words...
    Words in which I will try to express my feelings.

May we ALL respect each other.
    May we all try to understand that we all have different backgrounds, different languages, different cultures, etc etc.
    Sometimes we do not understand each other very well. LowWaterMark has posted an absolutely great sticky thread about it in TenForward long ago.
    I am the first one to admit that I too have made sometimes unfriendly postings in which I offended others. I want you all to be assured that I very much regret having done that.

May I please ask everyone to refrain from words like dictatorship with respect to this board; please, please, please!!!!!
    Dictatorship is absolutely an extremely nasty thing. Far and far too much people have suffered from it in the past, and are still suffering from it; millions of people have died :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

We all can have different opinions, but please let's talk about it in a civilised way without hurting others; please, please, please!!!!!

Please also understand that an Internet-forum simply needs some rules.
    And that it is almost impossible to catch every circumstance on such a forum in such forum-rules; internet-forums are not something like mathematics (me being an ex-mathematician myself).

I want you to know that this posting of mine was NOT meant to hurt anyone !!!!!

PEACE

Best Regards, Jan.

22. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

HAYC 59

Thank you for setting me straight on this....coming from you I know its the truth.......an I'll refrain from further comments. You have known me a very long time HAYC.....always I have respected this forum and its members......wishing you well old friend.

FANJ

Jan your request will be respected. PEACE

23. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Back at you, you are also a great friend and thank you very much
    have agreat night

24. LowWaterMark

I want to thank you all for your understanding and for moderating yourselves when things get difficult. I know very well how easy it is to get upset about some topics, because frankly I'm not immune to it myself. Many a time I’d like to make a really strong reply, but I really can’t do that here. Besides, I’ve found that it only ever leads to further escalation, and that’s not helpful for any of us.

This poll is nothing more than a question, and it’s asking people’s opinions on that question. The same openness being mentioned in several of your replies in this and the other threads certainly applies with allowing people to ask and debate this question, doesn't it?

Please continue to discuss the merits of allowing guest posting versus not doing so. It is a valid topic for discussion, regardless of which side you happen to be open.

And let's just try not to take anything posted too personally.

25. 0_0

0_0 Guest

I'm also a registered member but don't really feel like logging in everytime i come here, and don't like keeping any cookies, so i just post anonymously under a few different fun names.

If the mods do decide to make this site member only postings i will probably just start logging in. For me it's not really that i want to hide myself from others, because i don't post comments with the idea of starting trouble anyway, but that i'm probably often just too lazy to log in. :p

I feel anyone should be allowed to post anonymously because you will often get people posting things that they normally wouldn't post. Now this may be good and it may not, but i don't think there are really too many troublemakers around here anyway. I have seen far far worse comments on other sites than i have ever seen at this site. If things ever get too out of hand i'm sure the mods will take appropriate action to correct the situation.

I have read some extremely helpful post by anons and feel many helpful posts may not ever have been posted here if it wasn't for their anon status. So i vote to allow anonymous posts. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.