GSS blocked to run

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by SYS 64738, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

After installation of the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer klick here GSS is blocked from running after second restart of the system. I removed the AMD tool, but the error persists. GSS cannot be started manually. Maybe I have to reinstall GSS, I will try this later. Has anyone else observed this issue?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4240/errorvo2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  2. SYS 64738

Hmmm, the screenshot disappered....however :eek:
    Reinstallation of GSS didn't solve the problem. GSS started after installation, but did not open anymore when exited. Taskmanager didn't show gss.exe so it seems to be not a problem of only the gui not coming up. Same error message again. As i noticed, the issue seems to be somehow related to this topic, but only for the sort of error message. So, gathering for more information about the AMD tool i found, that this "optimizer" is known to cause very different problems on various systems. So, I have learned my lesson, for the future I will look up for such information in advance :thumbd:
    I recommend to everyone who intends to install this AMD tool to be prepared that one might experience problems after installation.

Now, I'm concerned about the fact, that this tool is able to prevent GSS from running...:blink: Maybe it is not an issue with the functionality of GSS as i installed it with GSS disabled. But I would like to see some kind of self-protection of GSS.

System information: Win2k SP4 on AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000, 2048 MB DDR-2 RAM, ASUS M2N-E. GhostSecuritySuite, GhostWall, NOD32. Administrator and Power User Account.

3. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Sounds like driver conflicts. Did you have GSS installed before or after the Tool? Anyways you gonna need to go to the web site and get the uninstaller tool for that app you just installed cause a normal uninstall isnt gonna get rid of the drivers it has installed onto your system. Or you can manually look for them in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and also in the regedit.exe, to delete the keys associated with the drivers you may also need to allow permissions but hey if you dont know anything about that then dont mess around with the registry. Better hope that Optimizer program was legit and not a Root Kit other wise your problems are just begining. :D

4. yankinNcrankin

You said you installed the optimizer tool with GSS disabled so the bottom line is you put trust into a program and allowed the install of a program which GSS had no control over as a result of you having it disabled. Hence GSS is not at fault here, it had no way of protecting you or itself cause if it were running it would of flagged the installation amongst other things.....in my REAL WORLD experience using GSS nothing ever happened to my system while it was running unless I allowed it to happen.......:D The site you got the program from may be LEGIT however anything downloaded is suseptible to picking up strays

5. SYS 64738

You're right, I allowed this tool to rum as i disabeled GSS. I am used to do so, when i install a program which i guess to be a legit one. As it is provided by AMD i thought to short, because this tool seems to be just out of beeing experimental (version 1.0). There wasn't a deinstallation routine provided. I didn't notice any other issues with it on my system though, but I will never intend to tolerate a tool, which disables the security setup. However, there would be always a risk if one install something new on a running system. After having read that there are several issues with this optimizer and that other people had difficulties to get rid of it, I decided to completely reinstall my system and used this occasionally to do some partitioning works which i wanted to do since several weeks ;)
    As for GSS...Well, I disabled AddDefend and RegDefend but did not exit GSS, so gss.exe was running during installation. After reboot GSS didn't start anymore and the error message appeared. So this tool did probably something before gss.exe starts. I mean, it would be of advantage if GSS could protect its own process here. I don't have any idea if this would be possible. It is a thoght about a protection like: In AppDefend one is able to allow an application to terminate an other or to modify a process, but can an application protected from being terminated or a process from beeing modified?? :rolleyes:

6. yankinNcrankin

I dont think GSS process got terminated as i said sounds more like Driver clashing, some programs play welll together and some dont this looks like the case, but yes a security program that can protect itself from being shut down by other programs is another good thing to have but this situation between this optimizer tool and GSS looks more like incompatability issues. Only if you left GSS completely ON and functional through out the installation of that optimizer tool and most likely you would be allowing many times during the install, then you could truely see upon reboot if GSS gets disabled as a result. On a side note thats why I have Imaging software and snapshots to do my testing of different software, that way I dont get my system hosed......good luck man :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.