Grrr Help With True Image v.11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by craggles, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craggles

craggles Registered Member

Hi to everyone,nedd so help
    I have a dell laptop with 40g HDD (3gig hidden partion dells rescue) and its going,so ive bought a new 80gig and am wanting to clone the drive...easy...

Well i did it and all worked fine,even the hidden 3 gig dell partision,but heres the catch,it only shows 40 gig on my new drive,,and the other is missing.as i did the option "as is"

so went back into options and this time on the clone went with the automatic,and great it now show my old hdd as 33.26gig free space,,and new 67.40 the old partion as 3.501g and new as 7.00g

did it,,and loaded windows all working fine,,used all my new hdd space,but on boot up my dell system recovery wont work this way,,says "dell system recover tool has detected an unsupported change to your master boot system"

I know what it is it because its my new drive is larger and it saying in our terms "youve made the free space larger so im not working :D "

how can i get rounf this,,ive done it manual by making the partison the same size as the old,,but its the free space..

if i could partion the drive and clone it to the portion thats identical to my old hdd would be good,but once ive partisioned it and go into the clone bit,,i have to delete the partisions on the drive or i cant go on to the next bit

Im really sorry its been a long message,but its driving my mad,and i need the mirror image of the drive as ive no windows xp cd

thanks

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

One option, if you can make and restore images with ATI, then why not just remove the Dell partition -- it's stuff to put the disk image back the way it was when you bought it. You can do the same thing with ATI and not need any special goofy partitions.

3. craggles

So do the cloning on the automatic mode where it does it proportional

or format the new drive and make the restore image from the old drive and run it on the new?

Sorry just a bit slow with it,,1 problem with the partition is its a hidden fat32,,and there is another 65mb fat16 with diagnostics on which works fine still

In a nutshell all i want is to put everythin on my new drive they way it is now,ie settings,all passwords in there,data,music pics..

the only reason i was worried about the partition on the restore is,i have no windows cd (dell stopped shipping them) but have the sticker with code on the underneath of the laptop.

ive tried doing a backup to dvd-r with ATI but ive waisted loads of discs,it jut gets to 3rd blank disk and gives an error,,and aborts...

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Most laptop makers that no longer provide Factory Restore CDs give you an alternative to make your own. Look in the Control Panel to see if that feature is in there. Or give the Dell model number and maybe someone here may be familiar with how to make the Restore CDs for it.

5. craggles

Its not got an option as far as i can see,,its a dell 5160

Ok another way is is there anyway i can recover the unallocated 40 gig from the hard drive?

and used it as a partition or just add it to the excistinfg free space?

cheers for the help

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Yes, here's how to add it to your existing drive to get back an 80 gig drive (actually will show about 73 gig in Windows)
    ================================
    If you have already cloned/restored your drive and just want to regain the missing (unallocated) space proceed as follows:
    1. Make the bootable True Image Rescue cd, if you have not already done so.
    2. Boot with it and from its main menu choose Manage Acronis Secure Zone.
    3. Create an SZ of any size less than the missing unallocated space. Do not accept the default to activate the Startup Recovery Manager.
    4. OK back to the main menu.
    5. Go right back into the Manage ASZ.
    6. Choose to Delete the SZ.
    7. When asked what to do with the space, accept the default to append it to the existing partition.
    8. Back out to the Main Menu, Exit the process, quickly remove the CD and reboot the system (if it doesn't self reboot).
    ====================================

7. craggles

The rescue cd,do you mean tools at the top and click "create bootable rescue media"

if so i keep getting an error "E00040010: Device is busy. (0x40010) Tag = 0x8B7F8138EBD33EB3"

tried different media in the drive but still keep getting it

8. craggles

mangaed to retrieve it ive got a drive E: with 37 odd gig on it as a partition
    but know ive done that the dells rescue is saying again an unsupported change has accoured to the master boot thing

so im goin to try and make a rescue cd if i can get rid of that busy error

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This probably means you have some other CD drive software that is claiming rights to the drive, like Nero's InCD, for example. Close that down and it should work okay. Or you can use ATI to write to an ISO file and then use Nero Burning Rom or similar program to burnthe iso onto a cd.

10. craggles

cheers bud,,ill do an iso and burn it to cd,,,

So if i dio this a ican make a restore disc to restore windows without that partistion from dell..

will it put it back to like a fresh install of xp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.