Grisoft is expanding products and territory

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NAMOR, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Grisoft is expanding products and territory

By: Pavla Kozáková, 23. 04. 2007, More by this author

http://www.cbw.cz/phprs/2007042315.html

2. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Could tell it would happen. Grisoft is pretty big. though probably not as much as Panda, trendmicro, mcafee, and symantec

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Yea, but they are trying to catch up. In the usual fashion of todays business`s a well. Buy an established company\product instead of doing their own R&D.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

No need to reinvent the wheel. I don't care how they do it if they have a good product. How it performs on my system is what I am interested in, and not where they obtained the technology.

If Grisoft can improve their product, and maintain a fair price they will be doing a good thing.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Some FireWall? Which one?
    CyberHawk?
    LinkScanner, may be. lol
    What is ur guess?

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

hmmmm....that is a good question. Companies are moving towards the AIO solutions. So my guess would be a FW. Keiro.....maybe.....:rolleyes:

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be but it,s just a guess.
    I don,t see any other FW BTW to think of.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Currently, I can only see two spheres in which Grisoft can possible make a purchase:

1) Mobile phone AV (which they lack)
    2) Enterprise level encryption
    3) Anti-Spam
    4) Anti-Spyware (Back in 2006, Grisoft had also expressed interest in acquiring another company's spyware database apart from Ewido).

But overall, great news. AVG has evolved so much from in the past when its competitors didn't even bother about it, to today when all the competitors are sitting up and taking notice. Remember the days of AVG 6.0 when everyone didn't like its detection rates, and even I didn't particularly like it. I think AVG has a lot of potential, and the way it has been growing, it won't be too long before its among the best. :D

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

All this is just speculation, but wouldn't Tall Emu's Online ArmourV2 make a good addition and qualify it as an elite suite with the HIPS and a good FW. They have been taking a long time getting V2 out. Again, this is just a shot in the dark.

10. kodl

kodl Registered Member

I cannot see any reason for acquiring firewall as AVG offers one for quite some time (almost two years). Also, anti-spyware is in the full AVG IS package. Do not judge by the free version only - look at the full offering. So GRISOFT does its own R&D, expanding the product by themselves. And IMO it's only logical that acquisitions may also happen given the expansion of AVG. Just my 2c ;)

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree that OA would be a superb addition to Grisoft's line. Someone mentioned Cyberhawk -- good idea. To that I would add ProSecurity (PS) as being another good acquisition prospect. PS is a bloody good HIPS & much lighter on the system than is Cyberhawk.

Better yet, why should Grisoft buy anything? Maybe they would be better off to make Inspector Clouseau a monetary offer he can't refuse, & then they would have a REAL tiger in their tank, that's for sure.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Heres a crazy idea. They buy NOD32. And work their ewido magic.

13. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

hehe, now that would be good! As long as the maintained NOD32's good performance, and fast scan engine.

Hey they could even bring the update speed up to the standard of Kapersky's!

If they obtained NOD32's scan engine and database, AVG free would destroy all competition :p

14. Firecat

Some very interesting information from that article:

However, I am not sure HOW Enterprise Investors can possibly sell Grisoft when they are only 39 percent owner of the company. So, if anyone buys Grisoft, the Grisoft AVG line will have to be continued due to the fact that there are also other shareholders with stakes in the company and their wishes will need to be satisfied as well.

But yeah, Grisoft has managed to make some heads roll seriously. Their AVG line has the maximum price-to-performance ratio ever seen in the industry (except for eEye Blink, but thats a new one). I hope nobody buys out Grisoft, because I like the current pricing structure of AVG, and if someone buys it they may change that pricing structure. :)

Also, this little snippet will possibly mean good news for some USA residents:

;)

This is going to be interesting. Its is very strange to see how the AV industry became interesting in the period from 1996 to 1999, and then again from 2006....:D

15. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Would you happen to know which one? (Not that I think that is what Grisoft really needs now, as they're already doing good when it comes to malware detection.)

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Expanding products and territory by merging or acquisition is always a welocme news for its investors; bigger pie and larger revenue? But what these wealthy parties did not know is : although the leaves keep growing, the root is eroding gradually. What Grisoft needs now is to learn how to solidify its customer base, not to expand it. It may gain one, but may lose three. There are lots of problems now w/ updating def in AVG AS, and seems the snow ball is growing in size everyday. Can Grisoft fix it once for all?. Of course, unless it has shifted the priority and forcus to this; keeping buylng new ones and meantime keeping dumping the old rags. What a negatively brilliant idea, eh?

17. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I agree Perman. I removed AVG AS for that reason and went to another brand. They ought to get things running smooth with what they have before thinking about expanding and maybe creating another problem.

18. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Let Just see who & if they buy someone. It really doesn't appear they even have company they are in negotiations with yet. Why would Eset agree to such a merger? Whatever advantage would they gain? It may be just an overall strategy to make AVG more valuable to a potential investor Buyer.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

AVG has the worst update problem of any program I have used. If I did not have a lifetime license I would not renew.
    Jerry

20. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

You are not forced in any way to use that lifetime license.

Gerard

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Right, I 'kinda suspected that. I will use it, but I would not spend more money on it. That was the point.
    Best,
    Jerry

22. Firecat

Isn't it ironic that I've never had any update problems with AVG Internet Security? :D

The problem is mainly related to the Anti-Spyware product, and I think someone from Ewido already said that it will be fixed. Obviously things have been very late, but perhaps an AVG AS user should contact Grisoft (NOT Ewido) about this and ask when the new version will be released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.