Great! Now security vendors defend hidden rootkits!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by HandsOff, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I just wanted to say that I’m not sure I would trust a security program on my computer from a vendor who thinks installing hidden programs on my computer could be considered legitimate practice under any conditions.

Statements like the one below serve only to cloud this issue. Do we want our computers running hidden programs or not? Does some company, or interest group have a right to run secret programs on my computer? Personally, I do not find that an issue that is debateable. If someone wants to speak in defense of this statement be my guest. I’d love to hear it explained how others should be making my decisions for me.

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/48932.html
    Should Rootkits Be Outlawed?
    While companies are trying to protect their intellectual property, there are limits, noted Basex CEO and Chief Analyst Jonathan B. Spira, as the computer on which the software is installed does not belong to the software company.
    "Installing hidden files which may compromise common sense security measures, in my view, contravenes the contract between software/IP publisher and purchaser," Spira told the E-Commerce Times.
    "Malicious rootkits should be outlawed," said Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer at F-Secure. However, he's not sure that a copy protection system using hiding techniques to protect itself, without allowing any other programs to use the cloaking, should be deemed illegal.
    "The biggest problem with the Sony BMG case was that viruses could use Sony's rootkit too," Hypponen told the E-Commerce Times.

- HandsOff

2. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Greetings

Hidden software seems to be just about everywhere..

SEE:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=120044

Rootkits......of all things Rootkits....an no one is saying so much as one word about this.........thats interesting !

HandsOff.....there seems to be no end in sight as to how far this Hidden Software thing can go...........

3. HandsOff

On the plus side, I think Jonathan Spira expressed his point very eloquently. When you are secretly running programs on other people's computers you are definitely doing something that should be considered illegal.

- HandsOff

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NO!

I want everything very clear...

5. HandsOff

Right on Vampiric_Crow!

This is what I am saying! I hate it when people make nebulous statements like that something in principle might be okay if it did not x, y, or z. That is really a line that says absolutely nothing. If Mikko Hypponen is stating there is a way that it could be implimented that would not be objectionable then let's hear it. If not, it merely smacks of white washing what Sony did, and opening the door for companies to go off on variations on illegally highjacking the computers of the very customers that they should be providing value to.

I personally, think that the media has been far, far too lenient on its coverage of this. But then, Sony Entertainment is a big advertiser so I guess we can't stop that!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.