GRE protocol recognition?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Tuggboat, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuggboat

Tuggboat Registered Member

When I look at my open ports on my firewall (outpost 2.5) it says i have a local port 12032 open for GRE protocol. Port explorer doesnt report this? Should I configure something differently? Or is it not supported? The process; SYSTEM is using it and local address says; any.

Thanks

2. Tuggboat

Tuggboat Registered Member

I've tracked it down a bit more. Its part of my wireless networking.

3. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

I have the same issue, GRE protocol not showing up (event when including NETSTAT sockets). Is there a reason why these connections are not shown?
    Tom

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I guess this protocol is not included because it is a standard applied to P2P tunnelling and not specifically for the Inernet.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241251
    I am not sure of the technical reasons for not having it in Port Explorer but maybe Jason or one of ther other experts will explain :)

HTH Pilli

5. boo

boo Guest

GRE is an encapsulation datagram like SSH tunneling. GRE doesn't have the concept of ports. It's a Microsoft protocol generally used with PPTP, otherwise known as VPN (Virtual Private Networks). I haven't seen this protocol used for anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.