Graphics Card

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I need a replacement laptop. I was hoping to wait to purchase with Windows 8, but my current laptop has died. So I plan to buy a Win 7 machine and then maybe update to Win 8 when it is released.

I would characterize myself as a standard small-business user - microsoft office (lots of excel), email, internet and professional grade tax prep software. Would I benefit from a separate graphics card, or is that unnecessary? I might watch an occasional youtube video, but am not interested in downloading movies or anything like that.

Cost is not a primary factor, but I don't want to waste money on features or capabilities I don't need. Also, I tend to run on battery about 25% of the time, so if a separate graphics card would shorten battery life, that would be a consideration. Does it shorten battery life?

Size is also not an issue. I travel only locally, so I'm not necessarily interested in an ultrabook where I am paying for compactness or lighter weight.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I will be reviewing other posts on general recommendations for a laptop, but any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. roady

roady Registered Member

For your use,you don't need a seperate videocard......excel and tax prep software have more benefit from a decent cpu and RAM than from a graphics card.
    You can go different ways,but for myself speaking,I would try to choose between a Llano based AMD processor:usually less cpu power than an Intel,but a better integrated graphics chip,or a more powerful Intel cpu,with a less powerful integrated HD2000 or HD3000 graphics chip.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Get the Lenovo U Series, stylish, cheap and very good specs for it's price range target.
    Best bang for the buck spec wise could be Asus or Sager IMO.
    Or if you want a bullet proof notebook/laptop then you can get a business laptop such as HP Elitebook or Lenovo Thinkpads. :D

Personally i would go either Lenovo U series or an Asus.
    I fell in love with the Lenovo Ideapad U Series, ill get one after i get rid of my current laptop.

Lenovo Ideapad U Series Website

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.