graphic card driver update problem :(

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi :) i updated my graphic's card driver today because my DVDs wheren't playing correctly after my OS install, they were monochrome green. after a reboot the screen resolution was 1024/768 my screen isn't very big so i put it back to 800/600 but the resolution is still not quite right, it seems the mouse has to be moved twice as far on the desk then before the driver update and i took a screenshot and when i looked at it it was distorted. i looked in "list all modes" and it looks to be the right setting. do you know what i can do to fix it? i installed it over the top of the old driver, if i don't get it fixed soon i'll do a roll-back, is that more preferable to a system restore?

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just did a driver roll-back and things are better. the only problem that i can still see is when i take a partical screenshot, it comes out too big. a whole screen screenshot looks OK. ive looked in Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>Adapter>List all Modes. and it is set to -
    800 by 600, True Color (32), 85 Hertz
    i think that setting is correct, 800 by 600 is correct, it's all how it should be, the only bit i don't know about is the True Color bit. is there another setting i can look at?

here's what happens when i take a screenshot. don't laugh.

Attached Files:

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have an ERUNT backup. do you think i should use it if the screen resolution problem isn't fixed with a system restore?

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well iceni60,

If you can tell me the name of your display card I might be able to help you.

BTW, when you take a screenshot, it seems that your application is resizing it to 320x240, this could be an application problem or a driver problem. We'll look at the drivers first.

Any specific links from where you downloaded your drivers?

And congrats for making 2000 posts! Keep posting!

Regards,
    Firecat

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Firecat.
    my Northbridge Chipset is - VIA VT8751 ProSavageDDR P4M266 System Controller

and i used the link below to update the driver
    http://www.techspot.com/drivers/index/file/information/1757

thanks for the congrats too :)

6. Firecat

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, the link you gave is the link i went to first yesterday. i was just about to install it when i checked the chipset IDs and my one isn't there - VT8751, but the DeviceID 8D04 is the same, so as the last driver wasn't perfect i suppose i should give it ago. i think i updated the 4in1 drivers at Christmas but i'm not certain, i'll go and have alook. thanks for the help [​IMG]

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just found some older 4in1 drivers that match my chipset. i don't want to install it though until i know where to look in Device Manager to roll back incase i have to. which device does the chipset come under? system devices o_O

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i got it all working again. here's a screenshot now.

Attached Files:

10. Firecat

BloodRayne eh? Well whatever..never played it anyway.

For older chipsets the best VIA 4in1 driver is the 4.43 drivers according to VIA Arena.

You see, VIA Chipsets are often known for having such problems....thats why it is necessary to have the latest 4.43 drivers for retro chipsets and the latest (currently 4.55) for newer chipsets.

Regards,
    Firecat

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

those are the ones i've got, but haven't installed yet. i have to use my PC now, i'll install them later this evening. by the sound of it they should be what i'm looking for.

Attached Files:

12. Firecat

Yes that seems to be the correct package.

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if i disappear for abit you know it went abit wrong :D i'll install when i get back home tonight.

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i installed the drivers and my screen quality has gone from good to excellent, i really don't think it could be any better. but, i still have the problem when i play videos, it's almost black and white, really poor colour quality. i want to watch some music videos with Winamp. does anyone know how it can be fixed? it happened after i used the windows CD to format and reinstall XP home.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

16. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Are you installing over the old drivers or using a program like driver cleaner after a uninstall?

17. divedog

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, thanks for the help, but i think it's for a different chipset -
    "What video cards does this apply to?
    Any video card touting an nVidia or ATi chipset."
    i have the Via chipset so i think that means my video card "toutes" the Via chipset too, there's only two chipsets on a moterboard as far as i i know. i can still go and ask there though. :)

19. divedog

I was wondering if you where completely uninstalling the old drivers before installing the new ones? I have had similar problems installing new drivers over the top of the old ones.

20. divedog

What brand name is the card?

21. Firecat

iceni60 has an S3 ProSavage DDR onboard graphics chip...I checked it up with my friend and he has similar problems, only that his colour is WAY too vibrant!

iceni,Did you install the ProSavage drivers AND the VIA Chipset drivers both?

Regards,
    Firecat

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, divedog and Firecat. i have been installing over the top so i can do a roll-back if i need to.

Firecat, i have now installed both the ProSavage drivers and the VIA Chipset drivers.

23. Firecat

And how's it working?

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

everything works but videos, same as before, they do work but not very well :( i think i had the same problem before so i'll try and remember what i did to fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.